Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Snap...$1,700 '01 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
glad to hear you got it home safely without any problems.
Thank you very much. I slowed down on the curves, braked early, and only had one instance of brake lock up. Good thing my foot is a primitive form of Anti-Lock

Originally Posted by suede
Congrats and good on ya, I remember when I was young, noone could talk me out of doing things in an imperfect way. A few times it bit me in the ****, but 95% of the time it worked out just fine. The point is, if you always wait for perfect, you'll miss out on a lot in life. It's worth the few screwups along the way to take the chance to chase your dreams. I'm glad you got it home safely and in one piece. Enjoy your new disco!
And thank you sir. As well, I have had quite a few instances of getting knocked on my *** after flying by the seat of my pants. Something just told me that this would be ok. So I went for it, and it worked out. 800 miles in a day though...damn. I am still tired. My boss put me on the rotating shift at work. I was supposed to be in at 6am. I called the third shifter, told him I wasn't coming in, and would see them on Sunday. I was not going to be doing anybody any good today.

Anyway, I was looking underneath, and it doesn't look all that difficult to take the transmission out. I'm going to wait until it's a little warmer out before I go flailing around underneath there, but I will try and get some pictures today.

Last edited by tornado_735; 02-28-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Before you put the front driveshaft in, have it re-built with new greaseable u-joints and a new centering ball. This was a common problem, and it will save your next transmission....

Old 02-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Before you put the front driveshaft in, have it re-built with new greaseable u-joints and a new centering ball. This was a common problem, and it will save your next transmission....
Yep. Upon reading your guys posts here, I searched the forums, and found a few threads about busted u-joints. I can't find my camera though, which pisses me off. I'm gonna go down and jump it again, and let it charge the battery. I don't think the battery is bad, the dude just couldn't get the key out and let it sit and die. I can get it out now, just takes some work. And if I can't well then it's not going anywhere, lol!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:08 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Suede
Congrats and good on ya, I remember when I was young, noone could talk me out of doing things in an imperfect way. A few times it bit me in the ****, but 95% of the time it worked out just fine. The point is, if you always wait for perfect, you'll miss out on a lot in life. It's worth the few screwups along the way to take the chance to chase your dreams. I'm glad you got it home safely and in one piece. Enjoy your new disco!
If somebody wants to put their own life and property in danger that is their choice but putting other people's lives and property in danger is VERY irresponsible.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
If somebody wants to put their own life and property in danger that is their choice but putting other people's lives and property in danger is VERY irresponsible.
You must have failed to notice my post...my hitch was rated highly enough. So you can quit worrying because I wasn't anywhere near Georgia. What is it with the negativity and the put downs people? Damn! You're acting like I towed the thing home with a Yugo using baling twine and bubblegum!

Last edited by tornado_735; 02-28-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe. you will get used to it tornado, I sure did. congrats on getting your disco man.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, upon letting it sit and idle, things came on one by one. I now have what you call "The Three Amigos", air suspension lights, brake light, SES (sometimes flashing) light, and a moist, sooty discharge from the exhaust. Work in progress...

Old 02-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

With the battery being dead for so long you will have all sorts of warning lights popping up.
Replace the tranny and front prop shaft and then worry about the lights.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude, DO NOT RUN the truck with the light flashing. That means shut it off. Get a cheap code scanner so you can see why the CEL is going off like that. I have heard of a couple of people that have let their trucks warm up in the driveway unattended and overheated. It dropped a liner and toasted the engine. Keep an eye on this baby and pretend she is a supermodel. She will cost you a lot, and will be gone if you leave her on by herself....

Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I went back down after an hour or so, and before I started it, I wiped the inside of the tail pipe with a plain, white, Viva paper towel. It came out jet black but it appeared to be dry. Thank God. I thought I was blowing oil out the pipe. I started it again, and the SRS light came on. I restarted it, and the light went out. The Service Engine light didn't flash this time. The air leveling suspension light is on, and the rear suspension light is blinking rapidly. According to the owners manual, that means it's in "extended mode". If I press the air leveling button, the rear leveling light goes solid. I can hear what sounds like an air pump, but it's coming from under the hood. It's too cold to be fooling around under there, so I said forget it. I let it get to operating temp, and let it idle for a while, and shut her off for the night. She starts up just fine, and idles just fine.

Work in progress...

Quick Reply: Holy Snap...$1,700 '01 Disco II