Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn not working - Rotary Coupler / Cruise Control Spiral Cassette / Clock Spring

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Horn not working - Rotary Coupler / Cruise Control Spiral Cassette / Clock Spring

No matter what name it's known by... has this part failed on you before?

My horns and CC don't work and I've tested everything in the path for the horns and confirmed:
-voltage to the horns
-no blown fuse or relay
-voltage at steering wheel horn buttons
-grounds are all good
-horns operate with direct connection to battery
-no clicking at relay when buttons depressed

So, my assumption is I need to replace the rotary connection.
Big differences in price for the part ranging from $35 to over $300.

Anybody have experience replacing this part. I've got the airbag off and figure I can easily do the steering wheel too. Do I really need to replace the crush washer on the steering wheel nut?

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Would seem a prime candidate for the junkyard (make room for some of our elected officials as well) - you get to hone your skills taking one off without tearing up your truck.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Or your horns could have failed, do you have power to them when you try and honk?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He said the horns work when directly powered.

Without the proper electrical testing equipment, it's pretty much impossible unless you get lucky. A relay has to be tested, normally can't tell it's not working by looking at it, unless there is melted plastic around that area of the box. I have seen the board under all of fuses and relays go bad. You can try to look under there and see if anything looks funny, but you will normally have an odd smell also.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Rock Crawling

I've swapped in a different relay. I've also confirmed connectivity from the relay hot pins to the horns. It appears the problem is upstream. I suppose there might be something wrong under the fuse box. Is that an easy removal? Looks like you disconnect the battery input and unscrew the unit. It certainly wouldn't hurt to look at this point.

My middle finger is getting tired because I don't have horns

Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too difficult to get to. Wouldn't hurt to look.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a pix of the connector that carries the wire from horn relay to coupler, then that is grounded by buttons. It's the Purple/orange on pin 5. Ground it at the connector and horn should honk. There is also a header over under the HVAC fan, suppose could have a leak on that which has corroded connections for lots of things. The RAVE has wiring diagrams, with tiny (make crows feet) numbers, those index in the electrical library to these connector photos and pin outs.

What I am suggesting is a simple jumper wire to ground test, no meter required. Might want to do this before tearing steering wheel apart, etc.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
co082.pdf (44.9 KB, 734 views)
Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Savannah!
That little nugget is appreciated.

The horns indeed went off loud and clear when I grounded pin 5
I'm going to assume that since I have voltage at the buttons and the cruise control is not working either, it's gotta be the coupler...?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

I would support that diagnosis. The horn buttons have to get to ground somewhere. But if you said you have voltage at the buttons themselves, the only way it would get there is through the rotary coupler. So perhaps it is not as bad as you believe. The ground is one side of each horn button. The horns tie back to ground inside the wheel, wiring diagram does not show earth ground lead passing thru rotary coupler. While ugly, you could install a temporary horn button on the steering column from the point you tested. Many of us live without cruise. Attached schematic.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

I took a look at the cruise control wiring plan. If rotary coupler was bad, the +12 volts from the horn relay coil (not earthed yet) would not be able to get to the two cruise switches.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 rotary coupler cruise.pdf (223.9 KB, 472 views)

Quick Reply: Horn not working - Rotary Coupler / Cruise Control Spiral Cassette / Clock Spring