Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horns not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horns not working properly

I just finished replacing the serpentine belt, belt tensioner, radiator and one of the front oxygen sensors. I figured now was a good time to also wash the engine bay. All repairs have been a success and the engine could not be running any smoother but I just noticed that the sound from the horns to be very faint. They were much louder before. I checked the two plugs going into the horns for water and dirt but they both seem fine. I am hoping to not have to replace both horns. Could the water have affected the horns? Are there any other things that I can check?

Old 12-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Check to see if the horns are getting battery voltage when the horn button is pressed. You can also run a jumper wire from the battery to each horn and see if they make any noise when direct voltage is applied.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by buick215
I just finished replacing the serpentine belt, belt tensioner, radiator and one of the front oxygen sensors. I figured now was a good time to also wash the engine bay. All repairs have been a success and the engine could not be running any smoother but I just noticed that the sound from the horns to be very faint. They were much louder before. I checked the two plugs going into the horns for water and dirt but they both seem fine. I am hoping to not have to replace both horns. Could the water have affected the horns? Are there any other things that I can check?
Water shouldn't affect the horns once it is gone. Have you tried cleaning the connectors to the horns with electronic cleaner then put dielectric grease on them? Poor connection there or maybe a ground problem are all I can think of. My horns have gotten completely submerged and worked fine as soon as I pulled out of the water.

If for any reason you replace the horns with something non Land Rover please post what you did here!

Old 12-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V

If for any reason you replace the horns with something non Land Rover please post what you did here!
My drivers side horn stopped working so, I got the bright idea to install one of those Wolo Bad Boy air horns from Harbor Freight. Honestly, I like it. Sounds just like an old 80's Ferrari, compliments my Rig quite nicely.

I'm comsidering replacing the other side and running two but these things pull about ~15-20A each. The stockers only pull ~10A. The fuse kept blowing so I had to switch it out to 15A. I need to make certain the circuit can handle it before adding another one, the wiring/relay should be fine running off of ~30A OCPD.

Bad Boy Air Horn - Save on this Bad Boy Air Horn at HFT

Last edited by coors; 12-20-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyones help. I have been busy the last couple of days but I will post a followup on what I found was wrong and what I did to solve the issue.