Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horns stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Horns stopped working

When you think everything is OK another problem lurches into view. We took the D2 out for a 'walk' today and driving home some numbskull French old fool turned straight out in front of me (even based on 'priority to the right' arcane law I still had right of way and in fact the silly old fool had jumped his STOP sign). I went for the horns............and nothing, not a squeak or peep from them.

It looks like a quiet Sunday will now be an LR day of checking things out starting with a short drive to see if the cruise control is working as it's the same circuit as the rotary coupler behind the steering wheel. Then, if that's OK I'll start on the easy things like the under hood fuse #16 and the relay #13. If all OK then check the horns aren't kaput with a jumper wire from a 12V spare battery. Then check if there is power at the horn push buttons. Hopefully it isn't the rotary coupler as it means removing the damned air bag (so twiddling my thumbs for 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery) and steering wheel and laying out serious cash for a new one but with my luck, it will be. Ironically, the horns were working fine a few days ago and so must have failed in a short time, but many things just stop working for no apparent reason - that's what Sundays are for aren't they, for the dedicated LR owner to solve yet another strange problem. I might even get around to fitting the new SLS air springs which arrived!!! I'm still awaiting confirmation whether Terrafirma shockers are the exact same extended length as standard shockers otherwise they'll kill the new air springs, 3 days and no reply from them either yet. I can see me putting standard new LR shockers on instead just out of frustration.

Some days one eyes the big 14lb hammer with evil glee and just imagining what one could do with it just for kicks.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it makes you feel better.. I've been chasing a fog light issue for weeks. Finally installed installed a new used housing.. I was all excited.. hit the switch.. well ****... it still doesn't work. I checked the connector, the ground, cleaned the connectors blah blah blah. Round 2.. nope. Still dark on the lower right side. So out of some slight bit of frustration I threw my screwdriver at it and hit the fog lamp... it came on. Sometimes caveman mentality does fix things. Although I am sure when I get in it tomorrow morning to come home from work it will be out again. I really hate when lights don't work.. but hate when others come on.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Baja

Checked out the steering wheel functions today and everything works fine except the damned horns. When the wife pressed the horn buttons the relay R13 under the hood fuse box clicked appropriately and the fuse F16 is intact also the cruise control worked fine when driving so I've concluded, on the balance of probabilities, the rotary coupler is OK. Tomorrow I'll test the horns with a 12v battery and check the power to the horns with either an electrical multi-tester or a lamp and crocodile clips. I'm beginning to think the horns themselves have given up although the base tone horn was replaced a few years ago as it went kaput. The orientation of the horns is abysmal for water ingress being the snail horn faces forward and obviously prone to filling with water in rain. I think new horns will need to be relocated and the 'bell' on the snail facing downwards although it may muffle some of the sound. Someone said they reckon it's the horns themselves and they appear to have been right, although I'm surprised that both horns fail together. Tomorrow will tell all.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Baja

I cracked the problem today, it was the relay R13. As I don't have ACE and there was a relay R14 in the underhood fusebox I checked the type and amperage and switched them over - hey presto, both horns working perfectly. It goes to prove the adage 'start with the easy things first' and I was lucky I didn't have to tear down the front grille and horns. The rotary coupler was working fine and that's the big number cost. Now need to buy a couple of general purpose relays as spares. By the way, the relay R13 # is: YWB 1012 10. for anyone who needs to know and it's the same for the ACE pump.