Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean muddy undercarriage and especially engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jycsalas
Use a pressure washer and this is what it is supposed to look like when you are finished...

http://s472.photobucket.com/albums/r...as/Powerscrub/
Clean as a whistle I see

Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HOLY **** - the under carriage and engine are supossed to be SHINY?! who knew?
i never go long enough between muddy sessions to get around to cleaning it - in fact i just tore the carpet out of my '00 DII cause it was mildewing. do NOT flood th einterior and thne park it for a month when you go on a field problem - bad juju. thanks ARMY...

note to self: rhino-ling inside and power wash ENTIRE truck...

Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Winching

One question, what soap are you using to get all the grime out. I have used basic car wash soap but my engine has never been that clean. I've probably soaked the engine at least ten times.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rinse off the easy to clean grime and then let it set in a cheap dish soap solution. when the bubbles die down reapply. the cheapest dish soaps (like the gallon size from the dollar store) have the most degreasers in them and the least scents, aloes, and what not. and most of them are relatively safe to run down your drive way and into the storm drain.

WOW! this might be the only time i have ever answered a question instead of just asking one on here. YEA! keep the easy questions comiing...

Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Winching

Dish soap! ah should have known. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Mudding

Dish soap?! That means I can do two things at one time: Wash my car AND my dishes together!! Genius lol!!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You ran your truck thru cow S--T, boy that has to smell.
Next time you do that go to the local car wash and power scrub everything till it is clean cause boy it will smell like carp for a long time otherwise.
well CRAP! no PUN intended! lol Ive been putting off washing my disco for last 2 months of new ownership while doing maintenance because of delicacy of washing the engine and messing something up, I had read!!! Im glad I found this! Im blasting away in the morning! sheesh!! lo

Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Had read some cautionary posts on engine cleaning

Seems like I've read some horror stories about engine cleaning here and elsewhere. I've cleaned my car engines (numerous models) for years with no issue, but some rover owners have had issues. Hence, haven't really done mine. Guess I'll give it a go now...

Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Ive soaked the entire bottom end of the truck in degreaser and let it sit for about 30 then power washed and it looks factory fresh and have done the same from the top end. The D2 loves water and you should not have any trouble at all power washing the heck out of it and getting it squeaky clean.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Overlanding

I had issues with wet alternator and wet distirbutor after a good power washing.... Alternator still sounds like a supercharger after a month.(Bearings maybe?) When I started it up, it struggled under power and engine light came on! I killed the engine, "can of air" on the ECU, then it would turn over but not fire! I let it sit for an hour or so and then it fired right up! I just went off this page about it being ok to wash the hell out of the engine.... I wouldnt suggest going to hard on those 2 areas!!! Happy Washing!

Quick Reply: How to clean muddy undercarriage and especially engine