Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I fool my ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So to sum it all up, I don't really see any negative so far with my engine running around 165. Maybe something long term might show up. This next tank of gas will be around town pulling a 6x12 single axle enclosed trailer full of tools with the a/c on. I will report back with mpg for that. Next I will figure out the resistor trick to fool my ecu and see what that does. Any help on how to would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you have to do emission test you will have a problem

Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not trying to be a smart***, I just want to know more, so here are a few questions. Keep in mind I am not an expert so they may sound stupid...

Wouldn't there be a reason why ALL engine manufacturers design engines to run at the higher temperature?
Doesn't the catalytic converter need a high temperature to burn the byproducts efficiently?
Wouldn't the O² sensors' heating element have to work harder to maintain a correct operating temp thus shortening their life?
Isn't it true that the air-gasoline ratio burns more efficiently at a higher temperature?
Doesn't reducing the maximum coolant temperature also reduces its ability to carry off more energy?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes yes yes

Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Option B there are some engine tuners that can give you a custom tuned ECU. In Ga we have one called TRM that can alter the stock mapping for a more desirable tune. But these will add complexity and probably "trial and error time" to sort all the unknowns out, but it can be done.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lowest Bidder
Not trying to be a smart***, I just want to know more, so here are a few questions. Keep in mind I am not an expert so they may sound stupid...

Wouldn't there be a reason why ALL engine manufacturers design engines to run at the higher temperature?
Doesn't the catalytic converter need a high temperature to burn the byproducts efficiently?
Wouldn't the O² sensors' heating element have to work harder to maintain a correct operating temp thus shortening their life?
Isn't it true that the air-gasoline ratio burns more efficiently at a higher temperature?
Doesn't reducing the maximum coolant temperature also reduces its ability to carry off more energy?
I don't think ALL engine manufacturers design to run higher. Why are there 160 degree and lower thermostats sitting on shelves at dealerships?

The catalytic converter gets it's temp from exhaust gases which hasn't got any cooler.

The oxygen sensors aren't working harder because the exhaust gases aren't cooler.

Cool dense air mixed with gas makes a more volatile explosion which increases performance and exhaust gas temperature. That is why you put an intercooler on a turbo vehicle to reduce the air temp going into the engine. Hot air in is bad. Hot air out is good.

And how in the world could reducing a coolant's temperature make it less effective?

Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
yes yes yes
Actually, no, no, and no.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
if you have to do emission test you will have a problem
I agree, but I don't have to pass emissions.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Drifting

So again, not trying to get people's opinion on why they think this is wrong. If you don't agree, go to another thread. Just trying to get some help on the whole resistior thing to try and get the result I am looking for on MY land rover.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm still interested in this mod, but I will say that my wife's VW New Beetle had a stuck open thermostat that caused the engine to run cool. That caused the Catalytic Converter to burn out due to running rich from ECU Confusion and Adjustment. It costs $1000 in California for those.

I'm not saying your idea is bad or good, but I did run into an issue on the VW. I think if you found a happy medium, it would benefit and not hurt. What that happy medium is, I have no idea...

Quick Reply: How do I fool my ECU?