Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I open the hood from outside the cab?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 10:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Deputy
The srarter is on the pasenger side of engine, near bell housing, behind exhaust manifold, pull heat shield back (aluminum cover), clips on partially, and attach battery charger to positive post and negative to a good ground.

Door locks are electric, need voltage...even when using key in drivers door.
thanks. I’ll try this before I try forcing the lock manually.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by lostmonster
hmm, the last time I tried this when I got locked out, I broke the rod in the door. I just got the door lock replaced. I’ve also seen in the forum here others say the key triggers an electronic mechanism to unlock.

So which is it?

when I first tried it, it felt so locked in place that turning was going to break it again. If I’m unable to figure out the starter, I’ll try it again gently.
The remote lock/unlock doesn’t work in my truck, I’ve been locking and unlocking it by the driver door for years now. It both mechanically unlocks the driver door and electronically unlocks the other doors, so it will still work if your battery is dead (I’ve been there!). Sometimes the key is stiff, so I hear you there- try putting some graphite on it and gently wiggling it around as you turn it counter clockwise to unlock.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:04 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by greisinb
The remote lock/unlock doesn’t work in my truck, I’ve been locking and unlocking it by the driver door for years now. It both mechanically unlocks the driver door and electronically unlocks the other doors, so it will still work if your battery is dead (I’ve been there!). Sometimes the key is stiff, so I hear you there- try putting some graphite on it and gently wiggling it around as you turn it counter clockwise to unlock.
I am talking about the key lock in the door not working when my truck is dead. Does it also work for you when your truck battery is dead?

Old 02-05-2022, 02:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

For the doubters out there, it's easy to test whether or not the door lock works with a dead battery.

First, open the bonnet (hood) and then tape down or otherwise close the under-hood alarm switch that's next to the airbox and between the fender (wing) air intake and the windscreen washer reservoir filler. That will prevent alarms from sounding through the rest of this exercise.

Next, roll down the driver window (just for peace of mind) and then lock the doors by whatever means you prefer (key in the door or keyless remote).

Next, disconnect the Negative lead from the battery. Then go use the key to unlock the truck. Voila!

Please post here if this does not work for your truck. It works on my truck.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:40 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mln01
For the doubters out there, it's easy to test whether or not the door lock works with a dead battery.

First, open the bonnet (hood) and then tape down or otherwise close the under-hood alarm switch that's next to the airbox and between the fender (wing) air intake and the windscreen washer reservoir filler. That will prevent alarms from sounding through the rest of this exercise.

Next, roll down the driver window (just for peace of mind) and then lock the doors by whatever means you prefer (key in the door or keyless remote).

Next, disconnect the Negative lead from the battery. Then go use the key to unlock the truck. Voila!

I did some digging in the forum and found your older post saying you thought the same as me, and you tested it yourself to see if it is mechanical or not. Thank you for testing!

I will try a little harder this afternoon to open mechanically before I bother trying to jump it via starter underneath the truck. I will follow up if it works or not.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:02 PM
Overlanding

Welp, I was able to open it using the key on the driver door handle!

The time I tried when I was locked out previously, I broke the mechanism.

The few times I tried a few days ago, I was extra hesitant, and it was catching on something inside there and felt jammed. Since I only tried a few times with the same feeling, I thought what I read previously was true.

I wiggled it a little and it opened fine!

The following users liked this post:
greisinb (02-06-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 05:16 PM
TReK
Received 556 Likes on 482 Posts

I think it may be a good idea to lock/unlock our vehicles manually from time to time to ensure that it will work when we need it. If it’s getting stiff maybe it’s time to take it apart to lube it.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01

04, battery disconnected...won't open with door key or fob. Works once battery is reconnected, at door and remote. And yeah...reprogramming all of my radio stations at the moment...lol.