LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood open message

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood open message

Has anyone else had the message "hood open" show up on their front display? I've checked every opening on our '07 LR3 but it won't go off. It prevents our doors from locking because it senses that something is not completely shut! We are taking it in later this week but I'm curious to know if this is an isolated incident or a recurring problem? It seems we have had a few issues with messages and icons popping up (including the sunroof needing to be "reset" because it wouldn't open!)

Old 03-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: hood open message

I had a similar problem with my new LR3 which I ended up fixing myself. It was quite simple really. Rather than having a single anchor point in the center/front of the hood like most other cars, there are (2) locking point for the LR3 hood which you can see if you open it. They are located towards the front corners of the hood shaped somewhat like"U" bolts. The problem lies with the rubber stoppers which are located to the outside of those anchor points. They act like regular screws in that you can turn them by hand to move them in or out of the hood. This adjustment is supposed to keep the hood from vibrating by taking up any slack once the hood is closed correctly, but if either one is screwed out too far, they will literally keep the hood from closing all the way. My advise is to start by screwing them both in all the way and closing the hood. Then press and release one corner of the hood at a time in rapid succession looking for slack or givein the adjustment. Un-screw the stopper in question a little at a time until the slack is gone in that corner. Simple enough. Hope this helps out!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: hood open message

I'll add a quick tip: check the plastic thingy that attaches the microswitch to the passenger side hoodlock (it's at the bottom of the lock, you'll see wires coming out of it). Mine became loose and I was getting 'bonnet open' message for few days. I snapped it back and it solved the problem.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Thank you

I've been experiencing this problem since this time last year. The amazing part is that I've taken the car into two different Land Rover dealers three times over the last year for different things and have raised this issue on all three occasions. The experts here in Cape Town have been unable to resolve the problem. I screwed in the stoppers a few hours ago and, touch wood, the alarm hasn't gone off again. The car also never honked at me when I locked it. Holding thumbs that this is the end of it! It has been a trying and embarrassing year...

Old 01-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Hood switches are common. They fail intermittantly which usually means that customers come in stating the alarm goes off in the middle of the night. $20 part and easy to replace.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

You can remove the connector and jump with a paper clip, wire with male blades, or strip the wires back and twist together. At least until you get the new latch/sensor.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
Hood switches are common. They fail intermittantly which usually means that customers come in stating the alarm goes off in the middle of the night. $20 part and easy to replace.
This. Had it happen to mine last year. A quick and easy fix.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did the same thing. I just ran a jumper wire between the contacts on the hood switch until the new part came in. Once replaced I haven't had a problem since. I tried adjusting the hood first and it didn't make a difference. Try jumping the switch first. It's the quickest and easiest thing to try. That way you don't mess up the hood closure adjustment only to find out it was the switch in the first place.