Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do i pop the hood when the cable is broken?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do i pop the hood when the cable is broken?

Can anyone help me out with any suggestions on how to pop my hood(bonnet for you crazy brits) if the cable is broken? Such as where is the location of the unlock assembly please?

The following users liked this post:
QuillHill (09-30-2022)
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Sorry I don't have an answer right now, but love your user name.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my d1 I used a large screwdriver and hammer dead center between the grill and hood.
Not sure if d2 is the same.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

do you know if it broke under the hood or inside at the handle?

Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you can see or feel the cable route from below you may be able to ****** the cable with pliers. If it is not popped off at the latch. From time to time I announce National Lube Your Hood Cable Day. Or it may be time to start working on that Saudi grille modification......

Old 04-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if your lucky you can grab the plastic cable, somewhere peel it open and pull on the wire with pliers.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your cable has snapped where the latch is under the bonnet then it is difficult but do able.
The is a plastic shroud covering the mechanism, you can see this when looking through the front grill. You need to cut this away with a SHARP knife, Stanley knife or something.
This is easier said than done! It's tough plastic and getting to it is a pain in the ......

Once achieved, push a piece of wire through to the hook part of the latch and having made a loop at the end of the wire catch the hook with loop and pull hard!
Took me a few try's but got it done. Fixing a new cable is the easy part.

Cheers Jerry

Old 04-13-2013, 12:32 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up drilling the front rivet out with my drill. Then popped the plastic ones with a hammer and screw driver. Then I had to figure out how the mechanism worked to know what to pull on. I had to hook the handle of a wire fly swatter to the metal the spring was attached to and pull really hard. I did all this in the dark while holding a flashlight in my mouth. It was a pain in the *** but I got it to work.my next step is to mount a bicycle brake handle right behind the grill and attach the cable. That way all I have to do is reach in and push the lever down.

Last edited by ihatemylandrover; 04-13-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Drifting

I just did this about 45 min ago. I took a small thin crow bar, but you could use a large flat head screw driver. If you can't pull the cable, with vise grips from the cab and all hope is lost, you can use the flat side of the crow bar / flat head screwdriver and with two good whacks from a hammer on the edge of the plastic latch cover you can break it open slightly to then push the release pin and release the hood latch.

Anyone that tells you to pull your headlight out or break your grill is nuts. That lower latch cover has got to be much cheaper than the grill or potential broken headlight.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by b_woodroaster
I just did this about 45 min ago. I took a small thin crow bar, but you could use a large flat head screw driver. If you can't pull the cable, with vise grips from the cab and all hope is lost, you can use the flat side of the crow bar / flat head screwdriver and with two good whacks from a hammer on the edge of the plastic latch cover you can break it open slightly to then push the release pin and release the hood latch.

Anyone that tells you to pull your headlight out or break your grill is nuts. That lower latch cover has got to be much cheaper than the grill or potential broken headlight.

Hope that helps.
could you make a video and post the link on here. Saying and doing are two different things and a lot of what you guys are saying just doesn’t add up. I’m having the same problem.

Quick Reply: How do i pop the hood when the cable is broken?