Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do we replace the rear wiper blade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do we replace the rear wiper blade?

I was told by AB that we can replace the rear wiper blade without removing the spare. Can someone please share with me how? It is not like the front blades where we slide the lock back and forth with a small slot screw driver. I had my son hold the blade out from the window, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get the damn blade off the arm to replace. I even cursed with a bloody British accent, but no avail!

And before you say it Spike, my spare tire is holding air just fine...checked the pressure with no problems at all!

Tread Lightly!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth

And before you say it Spike, my spare tire is holding air just fine...checked the pressure with no problems at all!

Tread Lightly!
You know me to well. lol
Just remove the spare, it also helps keep the lugs holding the spare on from rusting to the studs.
I have tried and I cannot replace my rear wiper without removing the spare, or at least loosening it enough to give you some wiggle room.
I have even stopped the wiper all the way in the up position.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just changed mine a couple weeks ago without touching my spare. Took a couple minutes if I remember but wasn't hard with the spare on.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried replacing my wiper blade without removing the tire, and ended up breaking the wiper arm... who knew a 9 year old wiper arm would be so brittle?!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent more time trying to figure this out (plus invented a few curse words along the way) than it took for me to remove the tire. Doh.

It IS possible, but not worth the risk of breaking the arm/clip.

A man walks into a bar and asks the bartender, "How do you replace the rear wiper arm on a DII?" The bartender says, "By removing the spare tire." The man then asks, "How do you remove the spare tire?" The bartender wisely replies, "By breaking the rear wiper blade."

-Anthony

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, if you had removed your spare prior to writing this thread, it would already have been done, sure it takes 5 more minutes but so much easier.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Well, if you had removed your spare prior to writing this thread, it would already have been done, sure it takes 5 more minutes but so much easier.
I hear you Mike and thanks...just following the advise from AB and checking if anyone here in the forum actually replaced the blade w/out removing the spare.

Originally Posted by Antmen
I spent more time trying to figure this out (plus invented a few curse words along the way) than it took for me to remove the tire. Doh.

It IS possible, but not worth the risk of breaking the arm/clip.

A man walks into a bar and asks the bartender, "How do you replace the rear wiper arm on a DII?" The bartender says, "By removing the spare tire." The man then asks, "How do you remove the spare tire?" The bartender wisely replies, "By breaking the rear wiper blade."

-Anthony
Anthony...now that's funny!

I removed the spare, re-checked the air pressure for Spike, replaced the blade (quite easily actually, just snaps in/out), adjusted my tire cover.

Thanks gents!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I just did this last week, and didn't give it a second thought.

The rear wiper blade on my Disco is able to be lifted off the surface of the glass about 1 1/2" -2" or so, I just lifted it off slightly, used a flat blade screwdriver to pop it out of the pivot pin, and then put the new one on and presto.

My Disco has an 255/55R18 Goodyear Wrangler as a spare....I'd guess that if you had a beefier, wider tire than that it might mean taking the spare off.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebulldog
Funny, I just did this last week, and didn't give it a second thought.
Yeah. I never removed my spare on my d1 or on my d2 to replace blades. I did, of course have to remove the spare to replace the d2 arm with a d1 arm.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

A lot of times, the size of your spare tire determines if you have to remove it first. In my case, running a 265 means the spare comes off.