Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find the ECU of my LRD I

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

He is not in the US, so what other name might that type of flush be called?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i have no idea, im sure that theres a company like bg over there though. anywhere like NTB or, and i hate saying it but, Jiffy Lube have machines thatll do this. just be sure that its pressurized, not just suction. its the difference of say blowing shop air through a filter and using a vacuum on it, you get a lot more debris out with the shop air... by the way, and i didnt even check to see if i missed it, and this goes double for anything electrical, but please mention if the car is US spec or not. just as with this ECU, its behind the glove box here, somewhere thats right hand drive, it very well might be behind the steering column

Last edited by roverguy7; 02-23-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roverguy7
exactly spike. my shop has a BG power flusher, that pushes pressurized fluid through the system, and you can set it up to reverse flush the system too. ive seen it fix a number of strange problems like this just by it cleaning up the valves, just fluching the fluid so you have new stuuf in there really wont help you much, take it in somewhere that can do a bg flush and give it a shot, hundred bucks or so which is nothing compared to just replacing it... and as a rover tech, i cant suggest disconnecting the abs, but it would be a cheap easy fix
He has already disconnected the abs unit. Since he is in Peru, 'ECU' may be a reference to 'Electronic Control Unit' in many places it is not always just specifically 'Engine Control Unit' as is often the case here in the states - I tried to do a bit of reading between the lines. Knowing that the 'ECU (American)' has nothing to do with his problem, my take was when the mechanic told him the problem was with the 'ECU' they were making reference to what we commonly call the 'control board' here in the States. It appears his mechanic was telling him that it wasn't a mechanical problem with the ABS, but an electrical circuit problem. Furthur it seems that he caught wind of a good deal on an ECU (America ie Engine control Unit) and as we've all tried to indicate - THAT ECU isn't likely to solve any problem he seems to be having with his ABS. His problems seem to be with the electric control board (referenced as ABS ECU in some places). In a nutshell, he should continue to just drive the vehicle in the exact state he has been already - with the ABS unplugged.

Last edited by Suede; 02-23-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

i have no idea, im sure that theres a company like bg over there though. anywhere like NTB or, and i hate saying it but, Jiffy Lube have machines thatll do this. just be sure that its pressurized, not just suction. its the difference of say blowing shop air through a filter and using a vacuum on it, you get a lot more debris out with the shop air... by the way, and i didnt even check to see if i missed it, and this goes double for anything electrical, but please mention if the car is US spec or not. just as with this ECU, its behind the glove box here, somewhere thats right hand drive, it very well might be behind the steering column
RHD or LHD everything will be in the same spot only on the opposite side, so if it is behind the glove box here it will also be behind the glove box there.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i meant the abs ecu, as in the control unit that is behind the glove box, not the abs modulator, on a d1, the modulator(the one that has brake lines, not just wires) is just a slave, it does what its told and doesnt make descisions for itself, thats where the ecu comes into play, the ecu reads wheel speed, transmits that and if it sees lockup tells the modulator what to do. and yes, it can get confusing because of the number of ecus these cars have, but generally the engine ecu is refered to as an ecm, engine control module... either way, i agree that the abs ecu wont help, its much more likely for this to be a mechanical problem and not a electrical problem

Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i meant the abs ecu, as in the control unit that is behind the glove box, not the abs modulator, on a d1, the modulator(the one that has brake lines, not just wires) is just a slave, it does what its told and doesnt make descisions for itself, thats where the ecu comes into play, the ecu reads wheel speed, transmits that and if it sees lockup tells the modulator what to do. and yes, it can get confusing because of the number of ecus these cars have, but generally the engine ecu is refered to as an ecm, engine control module... either way, i agree that the abs ecu wont help, its much more likely for this to be a mechanical problem and not a electrical problem
Thank you guys, mine is a LHD, I think it isnīt a US spec. When I refer to the ECU, I mean Electronic control Unit for the ABS system, I agree that the Modulator is a slave cause when I unplugged the connectionto the ECU, the brakes where normal again, not a failure since.
The scanner showed constantly a ECU failure. My wife is a Pain in ... with this thing, she wants her truck to work properly.
What do you think Should I try with the ABS ECU, or you insist I should do a Big flush to the modulator, and discard any failure there.
I am not taking the truck to a dealer, cause they charge you just for breathing in their shop.
Thanks