Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is it worth...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 11:20 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How much is it worth...

Toying with the idea of letting my DII go before it gets to 100k. Wondering how much it’s worth before I decide to sell or not.
95k miles
No rust, always a CA truck

Maintenance:
Serviceable driveshaft
Head gasket done under previous owner, not sure what mileage, but I’ve only put a little over 10k on it. Doesn’t drip any oil or coolant whatsoever, minimal seepage around HG.
Coil packs replaced
Spark plug wires replaced
Intake plenum gasket replaced
180 T-stat
New cooling hoses all around + allisport coolant tank

Mods:
Front and rear steel bumpers (I do still have the original front bumper in great condition if that is worth more)
Off road lights: bumper, roof, rear roof - wired to a aux panel with roof switch panel on interior
2in med. duty TF lift
Oem mudflaps
On board air system
Bajarack
Storage platform with slide out drawer
12k lb. winch
TF steering stabilizer

Interior:
Very good. Only imperfections are a small drivers seat rear and slight dash separation (on the front part where 2 panels meet)

Paint/body
Just polished and waxed, nearly no imperfections or body dents

Only issues are the two interior things mentioned! It’s nearly perfect. Part of me wants to move on and start my flatbed truck build, part of me wants to keep it for the long run. Persuade me or convince me! I do need to get some more detailed pictures to get an accurate estimate. I’ll do that soon. I’ve seen a slow but steady increase in value and return for these things in the past couple years.

Attached Thumbnails How much is it worth...-c454712c-122a-4fd4-87a0-b4d7b3d3ec93.jpeg   How much is it worth...-28aea811-3b35-415b-a8cd-df57abe1d236.jpeg   How much is it worth...-1f703e84-02a4-4637-a869-9b7cf0b888a8.jpeg  
Old 10-20-2020, 08:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

If I were a buyer I'd be a little worried about coolant seepage from around the head gasket. You sure?

Either way: this is a pretty good example. I'd consider submitting to Bring a Trailer or to Cars and Bids. Enthusiast car auction websites will likely bring a better audience and more money than a local craigslist post. Both sites currently have a live auction for a D2 (though one of them ends today and one of them just went live):

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3oe...y-series-ii-se
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-discovery-28/

Old 10-20-2020, 10:13 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by boston4
If I were a buyer I'd be a little worried about coolant seepage from around the head gasket. You sure?

Either way: this is a pretty good example. I'd consider submitting to Bring a Trailer or to Cars and Bids. Enthusiast car auction websites will likely bring a better audience and more money than a local craigslist post. Both sites currently have a live auction for a D2 (though one of them ends today and one of them just went live):

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3oe...y-series-ii-se
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-discovery-28/
Ive considered doing the head gasket before I put it up for sale. It seems like they bring in a little more if the gasket was done just before the sale, which is understandable.

I love Doug’s little description on cars and bids. He says they’re going up in value! This just makes me think what they’ll be worth a couple years from now.

As far as the BAT one, so far it’s almost up to $9k, pretty impressive for having 150k miles. It does have a rebuilt engine though. I wonder what the difference in price would be a higher mileage example like that with a rebuilt engine and a lower mile example with a cared-for engine.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:14 AM
Mudding

And wondering if it’s best to sell the accessories separate... roof rack, lights, bumpers, etc.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Generally, vintage SUVs from this era are becoming more popular - obviously, Range Rover Classics are an example of this, as are like-era Land Cruisers and 4Runners. Carmakers are capitalizing on it, too - look at the re-introduction of the Defender, Bronco, and Grand Wagoneer. That said, I'm not sure that most would recommend a 20 year old Land Rover as a sensible investment - you'd almost certainly make out better by selling and investing the money, even before factoring in the inevitable maintenance and repairs that will come over the next two years.

If it needs the head gasket, I think it's worth doing before selling, at the least so that you're not handing someone a truck that's about to explode.

Regarding the accessories - I think that mods of this nature will add value to the truck that's approximately equal to (or maybe slightly greater than) their parts value. The trouble is finding someone locally who is looking for one that's outfitted this way, and is willing to pay - that's why I'd suggested an auction since it'll give you considerably more exposure than your local craigslist.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Regarding RRC's = good luck even finding one these days that isn't a rust bucket, or 30K and still needing work. Next up D1 = almost in the same boat as the RRC. D2 = lots and lots of them have ended their lives at salvage yards so maybe in 2-3 years they'll be extremely hard to find in original, good interior/exterior condition for under 15k. Sounds bonkers, but people have finally figured out after all these years that oh LR did indeed make the Best 4x4 By Far lol. People wanting their first D2 will always be after 04's as they think that is the year to grab due to not knowing all the facts.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:19 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by boston4
Regarding the accessories - I think that mods of this nature will add value to the truck that's approximately equal to (or maybe slightly greater than) their parts value. The trouble is finding someone locally who is looking for one that's outfitted this way, and is willing to pay - that's why I'd suggested an auction since it'll give you considerably more exposure than your local craigslist.
Ive always thought an auction might be the way to go. A couple years ago I tried selling a sports car with many mods and they didn’t accept it because of that. It seems though like most of the DII’s have a fair number of mods.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:23 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Regarding RRC's = good luck even finding one these days that isn't a rust bucket, or 30K and still needing work. Next up D1 = almost in the same boat as the RRC. D2 = lots and lots of them have ended their lives at salvage yards so maybe in 2-3 years they'll be extremely hard to find in original, good interior/exterior condition for under 15k. Sounds bonkers, but people have finally figured out after all these years that oh LR did indeed make the Best 4x4 By Far lol. People wanting their first D2 will always be after 04's as they think that is the year to grab due to not knowing all the facts.
Now you have me thinking otherwise! Good point about RCC’s and D1’s. I looked at a couple rcc’s before the disco and like you said... complete rust buckets even here in CA. I think the D2 will get there in value for a nice one.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I get offers to buy my D2 at least once a month. At least I did when I was still working and driving it all the time. These are the last of the true "go anywhere" Land Rovers and people are beginning to clue into that. At this point Land Rover has how many models that are more or less exactly the same thing?