Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would you pay for this 98 Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much would you pay for this 98 Disco?

But first a little info. As stated it's a 98 with high mileage (147,000). It belongs to a co-worker and it's been parked in our employee parking lot for several weeks. The RR brake dust shield came loose and cut open the brake line tubing that attaches to the caliper.

Exterior
The exterior is in decent shape withno major dents. You can tell a clay bar, wax and sealer will bring back the luster.The clear coat on the edge of the right fender has peeled away.The right side of the front bumper was slightly damage when someone backed into the truck. It also cause the fender to pull away from the RF turn signal. The weather stripping around both rear glass is dry rotted and crack.

Interior
The interior is in desperate need to major TLC. The front leather seats are dirty and worn, no tears just worn.The front carpet and door panels are dirty.The rear seats, carpet and door panel are in better condition but still need major cleaning. Several interior panals are crack and/or loose. The headliner is coming loose in two location. The good things is that all the interior components still work, pwr seats, windows, sunroofs, etc.

Under carraige/Drive train
Another area that will need some repairs.I did a CarFax report and this truck was originally purchase in Florida. After Florida it came stright to North Carolina and it's been here ever since. The reason I'm bring that up is because the under carraige has no rust like what's usually associated with northern vehicles. Besides the busted RR brake hose, the rear under carraige appears t obe in good shape. The left front under carriage does have an oil leak. The seller tells me he's aware it has apower steering leak, but I can tell it's more than that. I can tell it has a oil pan or front main leak. Possibly the power steering gear box has he mentioned. The transfer box or trans oil pan also appears to be leaking.
The under carraige needs a good pressure washing to determine the exact cause of the leaks

Under hood
The serpentine belt needs replacing.Changing all the vacuum lines would also be a good idea.The valve covers are showing signs of leakage. The engine starts and idles smooth. All fluid levels appears to be in good condition and not contaminated. The exhaust smells normal. I can hear a tapping noise from the valve cover. It's not the kind of noise you would immediately run from. I'm not familiar with these vehicles, but the noise could be a excessively nosey injector or a valve that's out of adjustment.

Now let the show begin, here are a few pics

What exactly is this EPA exemption sticker saying

As you can see, you can still see a reflection in the paint.It just needs to be cleaned and polished

This two sections of theheadliner I think I can repair without dropping theentire board

Missing screws that retain the cluster housing

This is the RR brake dust shield that I'm refering to. You can see how it damage the brake line tubing.

Is this drum the parking brake assembly?

Are the hood and fender clearance usually this wide. The close up pics made it seem really wide, but hopefully you know what I'm refering to.

[IMG]http://memimage.ca

Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How much would you pay for this 98 Disco?

Thats definitely a well 'loved' (read used) vehicle. NADA puts it at 3800 for low retail, and with the damage and leaks, id take another 1000 off. So $2800 I would pay. Maybe less, but the sellers gunna know that if you get it back into shape, you'll make money off the resale since its a Rover..

Old 02-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second that. Definitely no more than $3000. But it looks like most of the work you can do yourself for little cost and the rest is just cleaning up. Mileage does suck though. But I have had 2 Discovery Is and they were both good to me.

Fred

Old 02-08-2008, 07:00 AM
TReK

$2000, it will take $3000 to put it right.

$1200 to redo the frt axle if you don't do it yourself,
and window seals are $175 then $50 to install and that
what you can see, O and all Rovers leak a little you need
to decide how much you can stand.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:34 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Price it at $3000 and see if anyone will buy it for that, more than likely they will talk you down to $2000-$2500. But high ball it a bit and get as much as you can out of it.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like mine when I got it. My paint wan't that good, and I found needles under the front seat. I paid $2K for mine w/ 120K on the ticker and the motor was replaced at 50K.

Your p/s hoses are leaking, which could be solved with new clamps. The factory ones are junk. I just went through this. Hopefully that is what is causing all of the fluid around the LH swivel ball.

Good news is the front main is leaking and possible the LH valve cover gasket.

How mechanical are you? I have replaced all of my bushings, panhard and track rod assemblies, steering stabilizer, sway bar end links, bumber caps with lights, water pump, flushed radiator, hoses and belt, plugs, wires, induction cleaning and t-body,engine flush 2 times, changed every fluid, brakes, replaced most of the interior/ dash light bulbs, gear shift, door panels and drivers handle, headliner (not even a backer in there when I got it)..... I am sure there is more, but I spent about $1500 total. Not including any of my countless hours of labor, but I like doing it. If you are mechanical and want to take on a possible huge undertaking, get it. If you are taking this to a shop, I would leave it alone

Old 02-08-2008, 08:21 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are looking to BUY then dont pay more than $2000
At first i thought you were helping sell it.
Its going to take alot of work to flip that disco, but it can be done!

Old 02-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Unless this is going to be a longf term, drive as you repair vehicle, I wouldn't suggest you buy it. I don't like the body panels and paint, she has been hit and poorly repaired.
Don't buy this if you are thinking about making a BUCK, cause you won't.
If you are looking for a personel vehicle for yourself, there are plenty out there in much better shape.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the replies. For some reason I'm not getting my email notification whenever someone replies to a thread that I'm subscribed to. I even checked that box (in my profile and at the bottom of each post) that says notifiy me when someone replies.

WolfPack
Since it's a co-worker who's selling the truck, I plan on showing him progress pics and the end result when I'm done. Maybe I'll sell it back to him

xb70
Yeah the mileage does sucks, but he tells me it's all hwy miles. All the work will be done by myself. That's the only way I would consider going into this endeavor.

Landzu
Is that $3000 in parts and labor or just parts?I do understand all vehicles will leak a little, and you're correct, you have to figure out what you're willing to live with.

Camdisco24
You're saying price it at $3000 if I'm looking to buy and sell as is? Then sell it for $2000-$2500.

okdiscoguy
I'm hope you're correct with the power steering clamp. The seller did say it's only the p/s fluid that's leaking.I'm a mechanic by trade (both automotive and heavy duty)I've left the shop floorand went into the office back in 2001. Turning a wrench is like riding a bike, you never forget. To be honest, with a family and house, I'm a little concern with the amount of time I'll have to invest. Worst case scenerio, I'll polish the exterior and clean the interior, all for a quick sale.

Disco Mike
All my car projects have always been long term. Park in the garage and work on it when possible. Are you saying the hood to fender gap shouldn't be that wide?I'm not a body guy, but I couldn't tell ifit's been hit. The Carfax report did notlist any major accident, only minor accident. The current owner did tell me about 3 minor accidents that he was involved in, one being hitting a pedestrian.

When it comes to buying parts, am I looking at dealer only parts.Lets take the valve cover for instance, it that a dealer only item or can I get it at my local parts store. From searching AutoZone website it does list a valve cover gasket. How about the RR brake tubing line?

As for the agreed upon price.The seller wanted $2500, I offered $1700, we settled on $1900. This was before you guys posted your opinion

Old 02-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't even contemplate buying her.

She looks like she had less care and was beaten more than a red headed step child.

Seriously, pass on it. I bet you'd drop an easy $5k to get her back to a 7 out of 10.

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for this 98 Disco?