Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would you pay for this 98 Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How much would you pay for this 98 Disco?

ORIGINAL: Mark G
It'll be interesting to see how it performs in the real world. Hopefully you'll get a lot more power (and gas mileage) out of it.I am pretty active in the Corvette circles, but my person focus is on paint and bodywork. My understanding was there was merit to leaving the casting imperfections as they help create desirable turbulance. Also I just read an interesting article about the debate offlow vs. velocity (smaller D-shaped ports).
You're doing good work, keep us in the know.
The sad part about this is that I've have never driven this truck. If I do the porting, I have nothing to compare the before and after. Do you have a link tothe flow vs. velocity debate?

Here's another sad decision, I think I'm going to do the port and polish. Today I recieved my last set of gaskets needed to put the engine back together and I know I can have it running by this weekend. But now I have to ordera porting/polishing kit, whichI probably will not get until the middle of next week.My compressor at home doesn't provide enough CFM's for this type of work. So that mean I would have to do the porting/polishing after hours at work.Oh well, the things I'll do for you guys pleasure.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok, by now we all know the forum is acting up. It will be a gamble if I post a lengthly post and the forum doesn't take it. In order to continue my cylinder install I do have one question

Old 06-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Which way does the head gasket go?

Go to this link and look at the last two pics on the bottom. In the first pic the red sealant and metal shims/o-rings around head head bolt hole is on top

And thesecond pic does not.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3002336/6

There's absolutely no indication on the head gasket that indicates which side is up. And all the bolt holes line up the same regardless of which side is up

Old 06-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Old 06-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling

Head gasket, which pic is correct?
Pardon my multiple post, I'm trying to out smart the forum.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. This pic shows the correct gead gasket position. Thank you John Robinson at Robinson Service in Springfield Massachusetts.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add another sour note...have you seen the tanking of Rover resale values lately? I paid $7,400 for a '99 Disco II (103,000mi) last July. I just put $700 of Nitto Terra Grapplers in Feb. NowI think I have a stuck valve as Service Engine Soon light has come on blinking (I have previous entries about this nightmare inducing vehicle).I can't do the work myself so to have it done will be $3,000 plus. That would put me $11,000 into a '99 Disco II now with 107,500mi that I can't sell for $4,000. Not to mention the headliner falling down, the LR taillight assembly that won't light up. CD player has now died and front moonroof now just clicks but won't open/close. If I were you I'd watch for a jewel on Ebay or some other auction site. Find one from your area and go see it first, of course. I bought mine out of Atlanta, 600 miles away sight unseen other than nice photos. But I do have to admit: when it's running well it is a wonderful vehicle to drive.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: OlDood

Just to add another sour note...have you seen the tanking of Rover resale values lately? I paid $7,400 for a '99 Disco II (103,000mi) last July. I just put $700 of Nitto Terra Grapplers in Feb. NowI think I have a stuck valve as Service Engine Soon light has come on blinking (I have previous entries about this nightmare inducing vehicle).I can't do the work myself so to have it done will be $3,000 plus. That would put me $11,000 into a '99 Disco II now with 107,500mi that I can't sell for $4,000. Not to mention the headliner falling down, the LR taillight assembly that won't light up. CD player has now died and front moonroof now just clicks but won't open/close. If I were you I'd watch for a jewel on Ebay or some other auction site. Find one from your area and go see it first, of course. I bought mine out of Atlanta, 600 miles away sight unseen other than nice photos. But I do have to admit: when it's running well it is a wonderful vehicle to drive.
I know exactly what you mean. If I wasn't doing my own work, I wouldn't have bought the truck. These are definatelymechanic trucks.

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for this 98 Disco?