Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to pull off hose to water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:58 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to pull off hose to water pump?

Sorry, I know this is probably really easy to do but I'm unable to get the hose off of old pump. Trying to pry it off with a flat head screw driver without damaging the hose. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Old 05-24-2016, 09:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Just done this. It was a touch awkward.

The hose on the pump is only a very short length of rubber, before it hits a plastic bit.

That plastic bit is movable, and I could push the plastic fitting to the left as I wrestled the short rubber hose away. But the isn't much room.

If you were really stuck, you could take the hoses off the back of the plastic fitting, to let it move out of the way.

When you take the bolts out, notice that three of them are longer than the others, and need a blob of something sticky when it all goes back together..... I forgot..... I also didn't RTv the gasket, and it's been fine.

The following users liked this post:
GunnerandDeena (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:23 PM
Drifting

Got it!! I just had bend it a bit and it came right off. Snug it was.

Should I be concerned that one of the longer bolts had a ton of thick oil when I pulled it out? One of the longer bolts had what I thought was rust but I now think it was deteriorated gasket.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That's the sticky goo I was talking about. Three of them should have it. Those holes go through to the water jacket, so you need a little bit of sealer on there when you reasemble.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm doing my water pump this weekend, what kind of sealer do you use for the long bolts and what kind of tack do you use for the gasket? I'm assuming you stick the gasket to the water pump instead on the engine..

What is this RTV you speak of??

Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I didnt, and wouldn't use any sticky stuff on the gasket. Its quite a thick gasket, and there are plenty of bolts to push in it. When i was installing mine its a bit of a tricky manoever to get the pump into place, and i remember thinking if i had used RTV it would be simply smeared all over the place.

I forgot to use sticky stuff on the three bolts, so im not the right person to ask! Knock on wood its been fine so far.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I followed what the guy on Atlantic British does. Hi-tack on the gasket stick to case (not water pump then bolt in a criss crossing bolting. I put a thin coat of Red Indian on the longer bolts. Letting it sit over night before I start it. Here's a great video to check out How To Replace Water Pump On Discovery 2

The following users liked this post:
shady milkman (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Drifting
Default water pump

Gunner E Conway-Davenport;568523]I followed what the guy on Atlantic British does. High-tack on the gasket stick to case (not water pump then bolt in a criss crossing bolting. I put a thin coat of Indian Head gasket sealant on the longer bolts. Letting it sit over night before I start it. Here's a great video to check out [url=http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/water-pump-replacement-discovery-2/]How To Replace Water Pump

Last edited by GunnerandDeena; 05-27-2016 at 11:55 AM.