Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011 | 02:41 PM
4wd Low

I'm not crazy about how the black on tan contrast. Has anyone done this and repainted the headliner tan again? If so, how were your results?

Old 05-04-2011 | 02:53 PM
Banned

There have been posts with tan painted liners. You can paint it any color you like.

Old 05-16-2011 | 12:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jake Mays
I'm not crazy about how the black on tan contrast. Has anyone done this and repainted the headliner tan again? If so, how were your results?
I did mine in tan. I took the visor to home depot and had them color match it. it cam out pretty close. Here are some pics. not great quality but you get the point. 99% of people don't even notice that it is painted instead of fabric.

Attached Thumbnails How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2-discoheadlinertan1.jpg   How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2-discoheadlinertan.jpg  
Old 05-25-2011 | 10:28 PM
Drifting

Amazing write-up, word to the wise, don't do it in the dark, and don't hold a flashlight inside to do it when there a gazillion bugs flying around. lol

Old 05-26-2011 | 05:20 AM
|
Baja

Originally Posted by Pickup Man
Amazing write-up, word to the wise, don't do it in the dark, and don't hold a flashlight inside to do it when there a gazillion bugs flying around. lol
you could have waited a day! damn. haha.. bet you're glad it's done and looks 10 times better!

Old 07-13-2011 | 08:41 AM
Pro Wrench

I know I'm late to the party but Bryce and Hillz those look great. My headliner is out and I'm working on other stuff but this is definitely in my future. I have several if not all possible leaks. sunroof, alpines (with rust holes) and probably the damn drains too. When I sort them out I will do the headliner project.

I would like to spray my plastic black as well. I've never been a two tone guy. Reminds me too much of old school British Knights. I considered covering them (or combo spray and cover) in a thin black rubber and I still think there is an idea here.

How's the wear on the plastic? headliner becomes A-Post becomes center console becomes molding becomes......

Old 07-13-2011 | 09:00 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
you could have waited a day! damn. haha.. bet you're glad it's done and looks 10 times better!

I spray sealed my polished concrete floors in my new renovation at the end of the day. By the end of the 2000 sq. ft spray it was pitch black. The floors turned out great but I know every imperfection. It was self leveling but there are little hills and valleys in some areas where I oversprayed and a couple small areas I missed. I should of waited of course but i could not.

It looks great. It's not a 2011 Range Rover Sport ya' know!

Old 11-15-2011 | 09:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Im a dummy and I did it

I chose to roll my paint on. I probably would have gotten better results with a better paint though. I used rustoleum flat black enamel. A one quart can gave me 3 coats and I think it looks good.
I'm a dummy since after putting it back in, and getting it tucked neatly behind the trim, I stood at the rear to admire it before buttoning it.all up. Something did not look right but I could not fugure it out. Oh well I grabbed the rear map holders and center dome light out of the.box to put them on, took the headliner out again so I could put them on, put the liner in yet again, and buttoned it up. I'm happy.
Now I'm replacing the cowling over tge instruments in tan to break upthe dash and match the roof.

Old 11-16-2011 | 05:10 AM
|
Baja

Originally Posted by abrady
I chose to roll my paint on. I probably would have gotten better results with a better paint though. I used rustoleum flat black enamel. A one quart can gave me 3 coats and I think it looks good.
I'm a dummy since after putting it back in, and getting it tucked neatly behind the trim, I stood at the rear to admire it before buttoning it.all up. Something did not look right but I could not fugure it out. Oh well I grabbed the rear map holders and center dome light out of the.box to put them on, took the headliner out again so I could put them on, put the liner in yet again, and buttoned it up. I'm happy.
Now I'm replacing the cowling over tge instruments in tan to break upthe dash and match the roof.
take a pic after you get the dash done.

Old 01-12-2012 | 10:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bustedwheel
I did mine in tan. I took the visor to home depot and had them color match it. it cam out pretty close. Here are some pics. not great quality but you get the point. 99% of people don't even notice that it is painted instead of fabric.
I did this when I first got my truck about a year ago. It is still one of the best things I have done. As I said, I did it in Tan and it looks great. no one has ever even noticed it.

That being said, the only draw back I have found over the year is it leads to increased squeaks, especially in winter. The fabric was a good insulator between all the trim and the headliner, and with that gone, they tend to rub against each other and make noise. I especially hear it on the B pillar, because it is right near my ear. I took some scrap fabric and put it between them, and it quieted down, but worth noting.
Still the better alternative to re-covering it, as I think that permanently fixing leaks in a Land rover is tough.

Quick Reply: How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2