Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012 | 05:03 AM
Mudding

Anybody tried covering it with felt, glue and felt fiber, not the felt fabric with adhesive
On the back side?

This is one project that is staring me in the eye. Tried regluing the fabric back on and it
Looked like someone peuked on it ... real unsightly less the smell.

Last edited by EVN137; 02-17-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2012 | 10:20 PM
Mudding

Hi all---GREAT post. I'll be doing this in the summer when I have a hot day to lay out the headliner to dry.
2 issues:
1) this post is a bit old---I'd like to know how the paint has held up over all this time...Any cracking, discoloration, peeling, bubbling, or warping?
2) The sound insulation the fabric provides is an issue, as some on this post have stated. Is there a way (with like a rubber sealant?) to cancel out some of the noisiness?
Either way, I'm doing it. i have a tan liner that's starting to fall and I don't want to be one of those goofs with strategically placed thumbtacks all around his vehicle's interior.

Old 03-19-2012 | 10:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I started to paint mine and didn't like the way it looked. Since I already had it out a local headliner shop relined it for $100. I went with a dark brown that matches really close to the wood grain on the doors.

Old 03-20-2012 | 05:23 AM
|
Baja

Originally Posted by kpl1228
Hi all---GREAT post. I'll be doing this in the summer when I have a hot day to lay out the headliner to dry.
2 issues:
1) this post is a bit old---I'd like to know how the paint has held up over all this time...Any cracking, discoloration, peeling, bubbling, or warping?
2) The sound insulation the fabric provides is an issue, as some on this post have stated. Is there a way (with like a rubber sealant?) to cancel out some of the noisiness?
Either way, I'm doing it. i have a tan liner that's starting to fall and I don't want to be one of those goofs with strategically placed thumbtacks all around his vehicle's interior.
this is my thread and mine has held up great. i did it in black chalkboard paint. i also used primer. i just did my range rover's headliner in a tan color and it came out good as well.

as for the sound insulation, i dont think 1/8" of some foam is going to do much in the way of sound insulation. if you want sound insulation i would get some kind of sound suppressant like dynamat and attach it to the inside of the roof when you have the headliner out. i get more road noise from my tires thru the firewall then i do airflow thry my roofrack thru my roof.

Old 03-20-2012 | 07:51 AM
Overlanding

I used a roof coating that I ordered from Ace Hardware called Ames Maximum stretch roof coating. It is more like a rubberized paint and remains flexible after it dries (25% rubber). When you put your roof liner back in you have to bend it quite a bit and I was worried about cracking. This stuff worked great and has held up for eight months so far and looks brand new. It is made to stand up to extreme heat and has it's own insulation properties as well. It comes white but can be tinted just like a regular paint. I did mine tan-beige.

Old 05-08-2012 | 09:09 PM
1st Gear

I did this to my 04 (thanks for the help!) this weekend and screwed up one thing. The visor clips broke, and when I picked up the replacements at the dealer I realized I misplaced the screws.

Anyone know what size the screws are? Should I just take the clips to Home Depot and find one that fits?

Old 07-13-2012 | 11:27 PM
Mudding

I just finished installing a new headliner, following these instructions minus the painting. After a few hours of sweat, it came out great. I was considering painting, but my dad owns a boat upholstery shop so i did the disassembly/reassembly and he knocked out the applying of fabric pretty quickly.

Old 07-13-2012 | 11:33 PM
Winching

Yeah, I've done this too. Ended up having it recovered after the painting didn't turn out. There were several spots where the fiberglass done at the factory had weird folds and seemed to be highlighted after the paint dried. All in all, it was not difficult to complete. If you fold the back seats down, slide the front seats up an recline them all the way back, you can get the headliner board back in with minimal flexing.

Old 08-29-2012 | 04:15 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm sure glad I found this site and post!! I'm going to have to do something with both my D2's. My '04 is really bad... about half the headliner is sagging down. My '99 isn't too bad, but it does have a big crease across the back where the neighbor's tree fell on the car. DOH! SO there are some spots where the liner is coming down.

If I can convince my wife to let me do this, I'll probably do mine first ('99), see how it turns out, then make the decision on hers ('04).

Old 08-31-2012 | 03:44 PM
Foe
Drifting

Originally Posted by mattmo78
If I can convince my wife to let me do this, I'll probably do mine first ('99), see how it turns out, then make the decision on hers ('04).

This is one of those jobs that takes a bit of motivation to start because you're diving into what feels like the "unknown". However, if you follow hilltoppersx advice it's really an easy job. Just don't drink a lot of caffeine laden drinks and get in a hurry. Take your time on removing the fasteners and molding.

Mine has been complete for a little over two years now. I used satin acrylic enamel (exterior) which is holding up perfectly. I've even had to wash out a few spots of coffee from the headliner after a bumpy ride. It's really sweet.

Dive in, give yourself a couple days just in case you run into any issues and it will look great. You'll be real proud of yourself.

Quick Reply: How to remove and paint a headliner from a D2