Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove speed sensor

1999 Disco II, I can see sensor, I just want to get speedometer working so my son don't get a ticket. Is there a retaining clip,screw or anything? After unplugging how do I get it out? Also any one have a part#?
Thank you
Redd

Old 03-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Easiest fix is to get a GPS that shows your speed. Most Garmin's will do this for $100.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Easiest fix is to get a GPS that shows your speed. Most Garmin's will do this for $100.
If I was driving it that would not be a problem, as My 17 yr son drives it and I would just assume to try to fix it correctly, not put a band aid on a problem. If it's 40 buck fine. I have came to this forum for correct direction and not zip tie and wire fixes. In all do respect sir. Dealers I am sure. We all agree are last resort. This website has been spoken highly as I was referred to. Thanks tho!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

With all do respect Redd it was all in good humor. Download a copy of the Rave which can be found at www.centexrover.com/Disco/D2_Workshop_Manual.pdf

It is the Workshop manual for the Discovery 2. Also to locate part numbers I suggest you go to lrparts.ru/engl/ it is the Microcat parts catalog.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ralphobell
With all do respect Redd it was all in good humor. Download a copy of the Rave which can be found at www.centexrover.com/Disco/D2_Workshop_Manual.pdf

It is the Workshop manual for the Discovery 2. Also to locate part numbers I suggest you go to lrparts.ru/engl/ it is the Microcat parts catalog.
Yes already downloaded that awhile ago, maybe skipped over the page of removal. I work off a IPAD so that manual takes awhile to scroll. The page I found was on 44-3 I think. I will have to dig more to see removal. Deaf going to option B on the amigos. I have been on here several times and read my way through issues. Just thought I could save some time. I see a lot of smart members here. Bottom line if it was solely me driving it...no prob. Just don't want my son to be distracted with GPS. We already went out and used it based off rpm for 25 mph and 45 which is 99% of the roads he drives. Go figure my truck (f350 & his mustang and now the Disco) all speedo's are not working! Black cloud or what!?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just to be clear which sensor are you talking about? The wheel speed sensors are just bolted on i thing with an allen screw. Take a look at this thread.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...working-58937/

Old 03-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

How did you find out which of the 4 sensors went bad? There is one in each hub, and you need to remove a good amount of items to get it out.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
How did you find out which of the 4 sensors went bad? There is one in each hub, and you need to remove a good amount of items to get it out.
That's why I already posted about speedometer not working...I did get a scan and it scanned p0500 VSS so looked in manual as I stated in other post. On page 44-3 pointed out # 4 it say speed sensor. It is on left side of auto trans next to shifter...black in color and from what I can find I see wheel speed sensors. Aren't they for ABS? I am simply looking to get speedo working again. It just quit after 2 years. Is it possible that all wheel sensors were bad except 1 the when that went I lost speedo? Or is it the one on the side of trans as book states. Would that make speedo not work? Thanks guy!

Old 03-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

What year and model is your Discovery?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

So confused.. I was under the impression that D2s didn't have a VSS on the transmission. Speed is read off of the 4 sensors in the hub that see the notches on the CV.

Oh well...I will have to look into Rave on Monday.

Quick Reply: How to remove speed sensor