Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: Seafoam Induction Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This can be expensive if you use too much.................ie, you can cause an o2 sensor to show faulty, foul the plugs and get a boatload of crap in your cat converter!!!!! Use as directed. The only time I have seen direct results, is when the car was very difficult to start when cold. The thought was that excessive carbon build up was preventing the valves from fully seating properly. In theory, this caused a slight compression loss. Either water or a cleaning product through the vacuum port causes " an explosion" as water cannot be compressed. It breaks carbon deposits free from the valve seats and smokes through the exhaust as it burns off. You only need enough cleaning to dislodge the carbon speck and allow the valve to seat properly. Anything more than that is risky for your other components and your check book.
The throttle body cleaning alone and fresh plugs is a huge step in the right direction. The other option is to put wurth rust off into the spark plug holes and let sit overnight before installing plugs again and starting. Does the same thing and cleans out more crap than ever.
At the end of the day- pick a process that makes you feel better and get a good nights sleep. These Discos need to be loved and driven!!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you want to do an induction cleaning properly, clean the t/body, use one can of SeaFoam thru the proper manifold inlet, taking about a minute to suck the entire can into the engine, then shut it off for 1/2 to 1 hour at which time you will drive it hard till the smoke goes away. Yes, you may throw a code, it will usually go away within a day, if not have it cleared.
Use 1 can on a full tank of gas or better yet, use a full can of BG's 44K for ridding the injectors of car and build up.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

This sea foam thing is FUN! lol I used a little piece of tubing I had that was slightly larger then got in car started her up... the with vacuum port open loosely held the hose, with other side in sea foam can, and slid it off and on to regulate the speed of suction... took about 1 minute to rid can of contents... my tube was loose on the line... anyway... 1 minute... and now waiting for 30 more minutes and Im ready to ride! I too put this off forever but today I removed throttle body and WOW SO MUCH CRUD.. Ive always had a slight roughness on idle but now that new throttle body heater circuit replaced, and all clean and drip free of radiator juice... I decided to do the induction and pray the police dont ticket me! its nighttime on dark road so maybe ill be ok!

one thing though.. when I turned off truck after adding sea foam, it didnt want to die and kept dieseling for a few seconds... lol Hope it starts !

Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this this morning, so far I have done plugs, wires bunch of fluids etc etc pretty much the 60k service interval and holy crap this works, the tune up and everything brought up my millage about 1/2 mile a gallon but still idled rough, not horrible but rougher than I like, it runs really quietly now. I hope a get a bit better result in the MPG department.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm entertaining the idea of doing this, but in other threads there seems to be many more nay sayers? Has anyone had problems after doing the seafoam induction? Why is this no longer a sticky?

Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandrew
I'm entertaining the idea of doing this, but in other threads there seems to be many more nay sayers? Has anyone had problems after doing the seafoam induction? Why is this no longer a sticky?
I just did this last week. I didn't really notice any difference though as described by some. My engine sounds the same, gets the same gas mileage, etc. But I might do it again in a month or so. The process is just a little different if you have SAI because instead of a plug on top of the manifold, you remove a vaccuum line that is connected with SAI. No biggie.

You can also youtube for visual instructions on how to do it.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Winching

Ive used the seafoam and liked it but i have a can of B&G i want to use but its all very smokey experience and im afraid there is no place I can go that wont look like a fire and police come a running! Lol

Old 09-12-2019, 07:22 PM
4wd Low

trying this tonight, I don't foresee any issues but who knows. I'll let you know if I set it on fire or anything.

Thanks again for all this great info guys!!

AA

Old 09-12-2019, 08:35 PM
Winching

haha it smokes but its more like steam vapor not fire lol but wow does it smoke@ it smoked up my block like I was a smog truck from the 70s! best done at night when everyone is sleeping and dont notice lol

Old 09-13-2019, 09:44 AM
4wd Low

Did it last night, didnt set the car on fire... BUT.... it also didnt smoke that much, which has me thinking that all of the seafoam is just sitting in a puddle in my intake and is going to explode at any moment. lol.

Thanks again for all these How To posts! helping the old girl get running right again.

AA

Originally Posted by dparham
haha it smokes but its more like steam vapor not fire lol but wow does it smoke@ it smoked up my block like I was a smog truck from the 70s! best done at night when everyone is sleeping and dont notice lol