Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you patch this leak? Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you patch this leak? Sunroof

Removed headliner to chase a leak on rear sunroof. If you are in the mid row seat looking toward the load space window, the water comes in at the front of the rear sunroof just to the right of the sunroof motor. Trouble is i cant find a thread that shows where and how to seal it. Can i do this patch from the inside?

Not sure if this pic helps

Thanks for any tips!

Matt

Attached Thumbnails How would you patch this leak?  Sunroof-image.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Sweet baby jesus, thats alot of water.
Is it coming in via a gap between the glass and the rubber seal?
...or in some rare instances the sealant that secures the sunroof to the metal roof will give way for the water?
Being that it pours in at the center of the sunroof, I bet there is a pretty good gap between the glass and rubber seal. Easiest thing to check first.
(you can adjust the glass using the four star drive nuts BTW...sometimes it will shift over time.)
Try to look up there for a space between the glass and rubber seal. I used a little mirror to see the space I had.
Don't just bast the sunroof with a hose...test the suspect areas.

With the headliner out, you will be able to track the leak down and fix it, a little investigating.
The picture looks like you removed the sunroof tray...I rebedded the plastic trays while mine was out with a good marine silicone. (Be careful with the plastic nipples on the trays that the hoses attach to. Mine were glued on. don't want to snap those)
I did both sunroofs and one thing I would say is this.
Water will never even get to the drains or tray if the seal between the glass and rubber gasket is good. The tray and drains are for what little water sneaks past a cracked sunroof...my opinion.
Keep the sunroof clean If dirt, pine needle, leaves get in there... no good

Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i think i fixed it. Turned out it was the seal between the metal roof and the sunroof frame. The rubber seal deteriorated and kinda bunched up somehow creating a break in the seal. Thanks!

Matt