Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD UG Type gauge - what d'ya reckon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default HUD UG Type gauge - what d'ya reckon.

5.5" LED OBD II HUD Vehicle-mounted Head Up Display Over Speeding Warning / Fuel Consumption / Temperature S5

Read the ad and post your comments. Tomtop are reliable and often sell state of the art electronics at affordable prices.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
5.5" LED OBD II HUD Vehicle-mounted Head Up Display Over Speeding Warning / Fuel Consumption / Temperature S5

Read the ad and post your comments. Tomtop are reliable and often sell state of the art electronics at affordable prices.
It certainly looks cool.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by CollieRover
It certainly looks cool.
I just bought one online ................ new toy for more fun I'll post whether it's any good when I arrive back from the UK in a couple of weeks and it has arrived here by then.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:11 PM
Baja

Follow up:

Similarly to the UG the HUD gives an abundance of data and alarms including fault codes. I have been playing with this for 6 months now and still learning about the nuances of it. It displays speeds in MPH and KPH, revs, water and oil temperature, battery output, alternator output, fuel consumption, tire pressure and temperature (if you have the transponders fitted), over speeding indicator, drowsiness indicator, vehicle failure codes etc, etc.

It has audio visual alarms for hi/low battery outputs, water temperature, oil temperature, over speed, vehicle failure with codes in fact almost too much data. for the meagre cost I'm impressed and the major benefit is it's a HUD display so on motorways and town driving you don't need to look down at gauges. Ironically I thought it would be distracting but not at all as in fact you get used to it as easily as a normal dash display.

Obviously this kit plugs into the OBD2 plug so it's unlikely you can run a UG and the HUD unless there is a splitter available on the market.

This kit certainly gets the thumbs up from me.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

That sounds cool. My phone won't open the link, but it sounds really similar to the setup I have which is the Torque app on my phone (only for Android) and a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner. It gives an insane amount of info too, an do think it costed me a whopping $12 from Amazon plus whatever the app costed. I think it was $5 for the full version, totally worth it. It will even tell you your current and peak Horsepower and Torque at whatever RPM assuming you input a few values correctly.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Speedview unit on my Jeep Grand Cherokee which give a HUD speedo. It works brilliantly and the real joy is that you can calibrate it to read accurately if you fit non-standard tyres or if your speedo is just pathetically inaccurate.

This one shown here looks good and so it may be time for an upgrade.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously this kit plugs into the OBD2 plug so it's unlikely you can run a UG and the HUD unless there is a splitter available on the market.
Like this one from the same supplier?: 16 pin OBD2 OBDII Splitter Extension Cable Male to Dual Female Y Cable

The following users liked this post:
OffroadFrance (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Baja

That's excellent, thanks Richard. It means that you can run a UG simultaneously or the Autel and check the HUD against the Autel live data for accuracy.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That's excellent, thanks Richard. It means that you can run a UG simultaneously or the Autel and check the HUD against the Autel live data for accuracy.
Perhaps. Oddly enough I spent the last week researching OBD2 splitters for my own Rover. Depending on what you have plugged into the cables the OBD2 port may not be able to provide enough voltage to power them both, especially if it's a bluetooth device.

OffroadFrance (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I tried the splitter with the Ultragauge and it would not work. Just FYI. I'm not sure if both units are fighting for the data or if it is a power issue.

OffroadFrance (03-05-2015)

Quick Reply: HUD UG Type gauge - what d'ya reckon.