Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hung up on last step to removing the radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got it off without removing the grill. The bottom section of the plastic extension bracket is in fact a keyed slide and has to be coaxed off the radiator tab carefully. Mine were just a little stuck from the effects of grime and time. I prised them off gently with a screwdriver, backing off each side a little bit at a time. Once halfway off, these extension brackets gain a lot of slack and the job becomes considerably easier. Once fully released, they can be turned inward 90º and removed by dropping the nipple out of the steel bracket. Then, wiggle the trans cooler free and—bobs your uncle—the radiator lifts out easily. I will comment that this procedure seemed very safe and at no time did I feel like I was straining or about to break anything. Also, a right angle ratcheting bit driver is essential to this method. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to stick a screwdriver through the grill. I bought a 22" long driver at Harbor Freight to do just that for $6 (set of two, flat and Phillips). It worked great for the lower passenger-side screw, but not at all for the driver-side screw—the angle was way off to get the driver on the screw head.

For a salt state vehicle like mine, the more rusty fasteners you have to tackle on a job, the greater chance of frustration, which is why I chose to not remove the grill. For this method, there are only two fasteners that could be seized (the other two screw into plastic), so it seemed highly advantageous to take this approach. The RAVE method presents at least six more fasteners that, on my truck, I know for a fact to be rusted in place.

Thanks all for your advice! Even though you all mostly disagreed with the approach, I appreciate the time you put into trying to help me. I took pictures and will write up this approach with a lot more detail than what I was able to find ("just pull these four screws and it pops right out") for anyone who is in my situation.

And don't worry, the grill will be coming off soon, just not at this time, to replace the AC condenser which I jacked up trying to replace the dryer cartridge—again, a seized fastener that sheared :/

Last edited by joshjellel; 12-15-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:14 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Josh,
I'm going to change my radiator, thermostat, and ALL cooling hoses out tomorrow.

Quick question: How much coolant do I need for refilling the system?

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2016, 04:24 PM
Three Wheeling

AZRover, it's been over a year since I emptied/refilled the system. I can't say exactly because I have plenty (over 6 gallons) on hand, and was just going to look up the answer for myself at the appropriate time. As I sketchily recall, between 3-5 gallons.

I just looked in my notes, which I copied from Disco Mike's high mileage service recommendations way back. He says 2 gallons of OAT (I switched to IAT—the old-school green stuff). I take that to mean you end up with 4 gallons after you mix it 50/50, but I could be wrong. Better to have more than not enough.

I would say it's probably better to search for the exact answer for yourself. It should be pretty easy to find.

The following users liked this post:
AZRover (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm not going to recommend that you do this, as I have had clamps loosen up and start leaking a little from time to time, but...

I also switched some of those spring clamps on the hoses to screw-type clamps. Unless you've got a spring clamp tool, I found a lot of the lower clamps really, really hard to release and reset. The angles and space in there around the thermostat are just challenging. The screw-type clamps can be positioned to be adjusted from the top in most cases with a small ratchet with a long extension. I prefer this setup. YMMV

Old 12-15-2016, 08:08 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

More than one way to skin a cat!

congrats.

joshjellel (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

If I had a LR that was from up north I to would find alternate routes on repairs. Fighting rusty parts/fasteners is a complete PITA. I was able to replace that plastic part on the 04 I had without much fuss. I didn't want to completely remove the radiator just for one silly mount, but like I said earlier 03-04 D2's = you can have the grill out in a matter of seconds. Earlier D2's it's more work for sure. Glad you got it taken care of!

joshjellel (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Josh,
I called the service department at the stealership earlier because I couldn't find the answer online and they told me 1.5 - 2 gallons. I bought one gallon of concentrated coolant and one gallon of distilled water to mix it. I guess once I fill it and if 2 gallons isn't enough I'll go back to the parts store and buy another gallon of concentrated coolant and another gallon of distilled water at the store.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Yep, just consulted the RAVE: 6.5 L (~1.7 gal.) for V8; 4 L for TD5.