Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am NEW, with a problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take off side trim on the carpet and use a couple of bricks to prop up the carpet.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good suggestion discoguy, I will do just that. So back to the actual problem (not starting) I had an exide laying around that was a side post. IT needed new terminals anyways so I installed new terminals. The side post deal is temporary anyways. I have spark and fuel. The gap on the plugs is about .80 thanks to the lack of maintenance. It turns over and tries to fire, but sometimes it sounds like it is kicking back. Sounds like a ohv lawnmower when the valves are adjusted too loose. So I am hoping it is only the extremely worn plugs, cap and rotor. I will do ohms test on wires, they look good. WHY DIDN"T ANYONE TELL ME the timing chain parts (hopefully isn't the problem) are dealer only? Would poor ignition parts cause the same symptoms as if the timing chain jumped a tooth?

Last edited by mowermechanic; 04-16-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Throw some el cheapo plugs in it and see what happens.
The proper plug gap is .33-.38.

www.atlanticbritish.com has timing sets as well as cap and rotors.
The timing set will last forever though, if the timing is way off it can cause back fire like running etc.
Start with a good tune up, you MUST use Mangecor plug wires, www.apexperformence.net is the cheapest place for them.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Drifting

What is special about those plug wires? Ignition system works better with them? I could get factory wires for less. Also, your saying the timing chain is not likely to skip a tooth? It has 160K on the motor. I called land rover, champion plats is factory in those. I asked about a cap and rotor just for laughs... $160 DOLLARS!! I thought he was kidding. HA. Couldn't I get a cap and rotor from NAPA? That's the one place I haven't had a problem with yet... Or does atlantic british have better quality?

Last edited by mowermechanic; 04-18-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Mudding

if you have a parts plus auto parts near you check them first. ive found they have the cheapest and best selection of rover parts ive seen i.e.

tps from atlantic pacific= $220$
parts plus= $88$

when the guy at the counter asks what kind of vehical you have he will either A: look at you like your crazy B: laugh and say good luck

dont buy anything from a dealer!!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mowermechanic
What is special about those plug wires? Ignition system works better with them? I could get factory wires for less.
Hotter than average Engine Bay.. the cheaper wires dont last.. Quallity 7mm wires are recomended.. Others have posted good reports about other 7mm wires, so feel free to search around.. I went with the Magnacores because I am good at doing what Im told.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good suggestion discoguy, I will do just that. So back to the actual problem (not starting) I had an exide laying around that was a side post. IT needed new terminals anyways so I installed new terminals. The side post deal is temporary anyways. I have spark and fuel. The gap on the plugs is about .80 thanks to the lack of maintenance. It turns over and tries to fire, but sometimes it sounds like it is kicking back. Sounds like a ohv lawnmower when the valves are adjusted too loose. So I am hoping it is only the extremely worn plugs, cap and rotor. I will do ohms test on wires, they look good. WHY DIDN"T ANYONE TELL ME the timing chain parts (hopefully isn't the problem) are dealer only? Would poor ignition parts cause the same symptoms as if the timing chain jumped a tooth?
MM - I put new timing chainset (incl sprockets and gaskets) on my '97 4mos. ago.

I think total cost was under $100

Hardest part was pulling crank bolt, but I'd do it differently now.

luck,greg

Old 04-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What is special about those plug wires? Ignition system works better with them? I could get factory wires for less. Also, your saying the timing chain is not likely to skip a tooth? It has 160K on the motor. I called land rover, champion plats is factory in those. I asked about a cap and rotor just for laughs... $160 DOLLARS!! I thought he was kidding. HA. Couldn't I get a cap and rotor from NAPA? That's the one place I haven't had a problem with yet... Or does atlantic british have better quality?
So what if ti has 160k on it, these engines will last well into the 300k range with no major work being done to them.
Because of the all aluminum block and heads these engines put off ALOT of heat and it just bakes plug wires, I can tell you from personal experience that only the Magnecor plug wires will last long enough to make it worth your while.
If you are going to go cheap go cheap on the plugs not the wires.
As for the cap and rotor, only a LR one will work, AB sells them cheaper than the dealer.
You can throw a NAPA brand on there but dont expect good results.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Because of the all aluminum block and heads these engines put off ALOT of heat and it just bakes plug wires
That was precisely my reasoning for going with Vitek wires. I know that the Magnecor's are all the rage but when you inspect them side by side with the Viteks, there is absolutely no doubt in your mine as to which is of superior construction. (of course the price of em could educate a small African village )

http://www.vitekperformance.com/shop...?itemid=18192#

I can't say enough about these wires hooked up to E3 plugs. Whenever I sell the truck, the stock wires are going back in and I'm keeping these

Old 04-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

$152 each? you really paid $1200 for wires? that's almost half of what I paid for the whole truck!!!!

that cant be right was that for the whole set?

Quick Reply: I am NEW, with a problem!