Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel like a real Disco II owner now..

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Dparham,

Unhook battery and clean up cables won't reset ECU - otherwise, how would parts stores and less than dealer level shops sell batteries?

For your exhaust leak, if not wanting to do SeaFoam injection cleaning (which is a great finder of exhaust leaks), consider shoving the air output of a shop vac into the tail pipe. Without truck running, you don't have engine noise and rad fan. Feel around for air draft from leak, or have a friend with a cigar blow smoke in suspect areas, the air from vac output will blow it around.

Note: I am not suggesting you take up smoking, or try to sneak a cigar in spaces not approved by SWMBO.

Here's a pix of an exhaust leak, I found it by shooting area with an IR thermometer at cold crank up, that dirty smudge was like 400 F while rest of exhaust was still warming up.

Attached Thumbnails I feel like a real Disco II owner now..-p1120275.jpg  
Old 01-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Unhook battery and clean up cables won't reset ECU - otherwise, how would parts stores and less than dealer level shops sell batteries. For your exhaust leak, if not wnting to do SeaFoam injection cleaning (which is a great finder of exhaust leaks), consider soving the air output of a shop vac into the tail pipe. Without truck running, you don't have engine noise and rad fan. Feel around for air draft from leak, or have a friend with a cigar blow smoke in suspect areas, the air from vac output will blow it around.

Note: I am not suggesting you take up smoking, or try to sneak a cigar in spaces not approved by SWMBO.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bullcrew
Your not one of us till you do a head gasket and driveshaft. So go back to your almost disco II, right now with just 3 amigos you arnt even considered a land rover yet.
done head gaskets, done drive shaft, had the three amigos and got a ticking 2003 V8 can i join the club?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure I would want to join any club that would have me, but owner G Reeves may want to consider an oil PSI manual gauge test, or looking at the SAI items - both of which can be a tick source.

Attached Thumbnails I feel like a real Disco II owner now..-oil-pump.jpg  
Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G Reeves
done head gaskets, done drive shaft, had the three amigos and got a ticking 2003 V8 can i join the club?
I think you 1 major repair inline in front of me.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Dparham,

Unhook battery and clean up cables won't reset ECU - otherwise, how would parts stores and less than dealer level shops sell batteries?

For your exhaust leak, if not wanting to do SeaFoam injection cleaning (which is a great finder of exhaust leaks), consider shoving the air output of a shop vac into the tail pipe. Without truck running, you don't have engine noise and rad fan. Feel around for air draft from leak, or have a friend with a cigar blow smoke in suspect areas, the air from vac output will blow it around.

Here's a pix of an exhaust leak, I found it by shooting area with an IR thermometer at cold crank up, that dirty smudge was like 400 F while rest of exhaust was still warming up.
Yup we talked about the old stogies! but I havent gotten around to it since I had to deal with the brake light switch and work... Im going to try that monday... it really sounds like exhaust but I cannot feel anything blowing around and IR seems to read normal as far as I can tell... I want to do seafoam as I am running it in tank now but there is NO place in south florida I feel safe doing it.. maybe out by the pineapple farms! theyll appreciate that! lol police are everywhere waiting to give out tickets! lol

Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Wait, If I do mine and other guys amigos and rebuild a driveshaft, then replace it, thas four instances. That should count as membership into the rover club?