Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got 4 Codes ... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got 4 Codes ... Help!

The Service Engine Light came on so I went and got the Codes checked. Strangely enough later today the light went off. My first question is can you still be running codes when the light turns off or did they magically cure themselves?

I got the following codes:

1) P1034 - 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 - Just curious is this the one on the CAT. If so could I have caused this from power washing the mud from underneath it.

2) P1300 - This one was not in the book at the autoparts store. Any idea what this one is?

3) P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire & P0305 - Cylinder #5 Misfire - Is the first thing to do for these to replace the wires and plugs?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

With your mileage, I would do a tune up, new plugs, new 8 mm silicon plug wires and 2 front 02's and that will take care of your problem.
Agin as per your mileage, you might want to read my major service list posted at the top of this section, you are probably ready for all of it.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Three Wheeling

Yea I think your right. I am going to go with the Magnecor. Any suggestions on who to order these from? What about the O2s? Also, I know there are a thousand post on plug selection but I have read so many I would prefer you just give me your recommendation on the best. In my opinion, since the plug wires and plugs are a pain in the $#x> to change, why not spend a little more for the best so you dont have to do it twice. I mean your already saving $1100 hundred by doing it yourself so why try to save $70 risking doing it twice.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good thinking on saving money but buying the right products. I would buy you o2 sensors for Atlantic British, also Bosch platinum 4s is a great plug. Wires i would order STI's from British parts of Utah you can find the websites for most of this stuff on Mike's signature!

Hint: helps to have smaller hands installing wires in the coils:-) dig around you may find a photo of a friend of mine doing hers.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree, go to British Parts of Utah, they offer the 8 mm STI wires for $70 and also have the front 02 sensors at a great price.
BVuy the plugs from a local store, save shipping and when you are ready call me and I will walk you thru installing the wires.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Three Wheeling

OK so I changed out the wires (STI) and plugs (E3s) [thanks Mike] and the codes P1034, P1300, P0303 relating to misfires and O2 are now gone. I did not change the O2 sensor yet. I now have two new codes which are P1175 and P1172 and I think these relate to the MAF. I do know that I am missing the clamp holding the tube to the MAF box and was wondering if a leak in the connection could cause this code. Anyone know where you can get a replacement clamp. Filter is a land rover oem and is a little dirty. Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot these would be great.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by srockrae
OK so I changed out the wires (STI) and plugs (E3s) [thanks Mike] and the codes P1034, P1300, P0303 relating to misfires and O2 are now gone. I did not change the O2 sensor yet. I now have two new codes which are P1175 and P1172 and I think these relate to the MAF. I do know that I am missing the clamp holding the tube to the MAF box and was wondering if a leak in the connection could cause this code. Anyone know where you can get a replacement clamp. Filter is a land rover oem and is a little dirty. Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot these would be great.
Try to give Paul Grant a call from Mike's signature I am sure he gas a dozen laying around. And yes you want to seal that up before you trouble shoot any further leaks will cause problems for you.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks I will contact Paul today for that clamp. My gut here is the clamp is not the problem. It seems to me that since the gap is on the filter side of the MAF sensor that the issue with the gap is that it is just bringing in unfiltered air. I will fix this leak but from what I've been reading, a leak on the plenum side of the MAF sensor would cause havoc since more air is reaching the engine then the MAF sensor is telling the vehicle. I'm just guessing here so nobody bash me. So my question here is does it make sense to do a smoke test to look for vacuum leaks at the connections on the plenum side of the MAF sensor? If so, how does one do a smoke test. Is it just blowing cigar smoke around these connections and see if it's being pulled in. I feel like if I own a Land Rover long enough, a backup career as a mechanic may be an option. LOL

Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Banned

Sorry i read over which side was missing the clamp. My bad, you could try to clean your MAF not recommended but if you do buy crc maf cleaner and remove the sensor and just spray a very little amount on the wires inside the housing the let it completely dry before putting back in. To much cleaner and its fried for sure. The only MAF that really holds up is the Bosch MAF all others will cause problems so remember that when you buy new one. These MAF sensors are very sensitive and can fail at anytime. My thoughts would be try to clean for now but order a new one and change it asap.