Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess I did the induction cleaning incorrectly

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I guess I did the induction cleaning incorrectly

I tried to do the induction cleaning using the vacuum hose at the top of the plenum, the one that goes to the distributor to suction the seafoam.
http://gallery.me.com/ainiguez/10000...12406112610001
While I let it sit for about 40 minutes I also cleaned the throttle body and other things.
I think I did it wrong because other than a regular-sized puff of whitish smoke when I turned the truck on, it never really smoked at all. What should I have done differently?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:31 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The hose you want to use is on the passenger side valve cover, off the PCV port. Use vise grips to pinch the hose and control the flow as the seafoam gets sucked in. If you do it correctly it will look like you're on fire as you drive down the road. After you have let the seafoam sit for a while drive down the highway until it all goes through the engine and the smoke stops.

The hose you used put the seafoam directly in to the cylinders with the air/fuel mix and did nothing for the rest of the induction.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I'll try it again.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:38 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Restrict the flow so it takes 1-2 minutes to suck in the whole can of seafoam. I forgot about using the vise grips to restrict the flow and the whole can was sucked in in about 30 seconds.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Restrict the flow so it takes 1-2 minutes to suck in the whole can of seafoam. I forgot about using the vise grips to restrict the flow and the whole can was sucked in in about 30 seconds.

That is seriously the MOST important thing. You let it run in to fast, you've done it all wrong. Also, when you try to start the truck after letting it sit, it going to fight you a bit, but keep the key turned and it will turn over. Like AK said, you will choke small animals if you did it right, but you will feel the benefits!

TIP: Bring the bottle of seafoam with you if you go out on the main road, some people have been pulled over for excessive smoke and if you have the bottle, you'll be let off the hook.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, when I did it a neighbor ask me if I was spraying the neighborhood for mesquitos.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
Yea, when I did it a neighbor ask me if I was spraying the neighborhood for mesquitos.
Lol, I was worried about spooking my neighbors, so I decided to go near an open industrial area. At some point while i was sitting in the car waiting for a half hour to pass and listening to music, a motorcycle cop had parked between two buildings to set up his speed trap. Then I start her up and of course the smoke cloud from hell starts wifting down the block. After about 2 minutes, I hear a tap on my window and there is this motorcycle cop not looking at all happy about having to had made his way through the cloud of smog I'd just put up! lol