Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know it's probably pointless, but let's do another fuel economy thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 01:18 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I used the old fashioned way to measure, miles divided by gallons used from previous fill. My Ultragauge reads 5 mph lower than the speedometer at 70mph for what that's worth which is why I don't rely on that for mpg readings.

I should add that I had two adult passengers and had the AC on the whole time i measured.

Stock tire size (90k on Michelins!!!) and blue plug wires, not sure the brand.

Last edited by Dave03S; 10-29-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:03 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Can't really compare — everyone here uses these funny "miles" and "gallons".
Finally got all my O2 sensors done a few weeks back (harder than it looks — nearly impossible to get any wrench sweep on the from driver's). Then drove Ottawa to Toronto. Didn't work out the proper fuel consumption, but did do the fill on leaving - fill on arrival. Worked out to 15¢/km on premium gas at the lowest price in years. Not very scientific, I know.
When I first had her I worked it out at 25¢/km (at a different gas price admittedly).
But at any rate, big difference from doing the O2 sensors. I recommend that to everyone.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

I have nowhere else to keep them and still have them available to me since I'm in school and living on campus, and as much as I use them I can't afford to not have them. Plus, with them back there I can help buddies who need it without running back and forth to get tools.

The MAF is definitely on my list, just no $$$ for it right now.

Originally Posted by Mark G
1998 Disco I, get 15-17 mpg. On some long freeway trips, I've gotten up to 18.5 mpg per tankful. Thats dividing the miles by the fuel I put into the tank. But around here general driving, 15mpg.

As I read your post, I'm trying to figure out why you have 400 lbs of tools and parts you are carrying around? That's eating into your mileage. Try getting rid of all your excess weight including the jack and any tall carriers, see what that does. The old MAF might have something to do with it. When I changed the MAF on my Jetta TDI it went from barely running (not throwing codes) to running like new with full power restored. I had cleaned it multiple times with MAF cleaner too and that didn't help. It's worth considering replacing.
It's not, I account for the size difference in all of my calculations.

Originally Posted by Maa45069
Alex I think your trip counter can't be accurate if you have larger tires... Also if your tires are larger that means the circumference of the tire is larger meaning you travel a larger distance than what your counter will measure as a completed turn. Maybe I'm wrong I don't know if you have had things calibrated right. I have stock 03discovery hse7 I don't carry a heavy load I average 15-16 I don't speed crazy nothing over 75. I only use 93octane.
Looks like that works out to about 25 cents/mile. Not sure how Canadian gas prices are, but looks like you're paying about 4 cents more/mile than I am.

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Can't really compare — everyone here uses these funny "miles" and "gallons".
Finally got all my O2 sensors done a few weeks back (harder than it looks — nearly impossible to get any wrench sweep on the from driver's). Then drove Ottawa to Toronto. Didn't work out the proper fuel consumption, but did do the fill on leaving - fill on arrival. Worked out to 15¢/km on premium gas at the lowest price in years. Not very scientific, I know.
When I first had her I worked it out at 25¢/km (at a different gas price admittedly).
But at any rate, big difference from doing the O2 sensors. I recommend that to everyone.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My DII gets 25mpg and I am not going to think otherwise.

I'm scared I will sell it if I ever check to see how many miles per gallon it really gets.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
My DII gets 25mpg and I am not going to think otherwise.

I'm scared I will sell it if I ever check to see how many miles per gallon it really gets.
lol

I always just tell myself it's paid for an a car payment is more than the gas

Old 10-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, I went ahead and changed my plugs today from the NGK BPR5ES, which is evidentally already a copper core plug. Anywho, changed anyway to the NGK BPR5EY which is the V-Power copper core plug. Engine seems to run quite a bit smoother with marginally better power and smoother acceleration, but I'm guessing that's mostly from having fresh plugs.

Here are the old plugs. They've got 21k miles on them and they actually look pretty good other than the deposits. Got all the colors; black, white, and red. I found it strange that there was both black AND white deposits. The black is from running a little rich, which I already knew about. I believe the white is caused from the engine (I think, after seeing the plugs) leaning out for a split second near and at WOT around 3k RPM which has been happening for some time. Another reason I plan to replace the MAF soon.

Name:  7k08xKr.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  1,003.0 KB

Old 10-29-2015, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I run champion copper cores in pretty much everything butI have had good luck with NGK. They are good plugs.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy

I'll probably try the Champion plugs after the next 20k since that seems to be about how long copper cores seem to last. I only gained about .5 mpg last time I changed plugs and those had almost definitely been in the truck the first 120k of it's life 'cause they were F*CKED. I'm surprised they were working at all, the insulating ceramics were cracked and the nubs were worn down to nothing.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:39 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I got around 15-16mpg when I first got her with stock tires and 97K miles. After larger tires and a lift I noticed right away my mpg dropped to around 12-14. I really noticed the difference when I used to fill up every 330+ miles and now I'm lucky to get 280miles out a tank. I do have 181K miles on my disco's original engine so she's a little tired and some MPG loss is to be expected. Hell I'm kinda like my disco too I guess, I don't get up and move as fast as I used to, and I run out of gas faster these days too.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will Headers/dual exhaust and a K&N Air filter get better milage? And what about a performance CHIP? Or are they made for Rovers?

Quick Reply: I know it's probably pointless, but let's do another fuel economy thread.