Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I made a Custom front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bosshogt
The best place to get steel is at a steel yard that will sell to the public. I made a bumper similar to Disco Mikes. You need 17ft of 3/16" 2"x4" tube stock. It cost me about $110 for that piece. After that the guys at the yard gave me all the scrap I needed to weld. Bring them a 6 pack of beer the 2nd time you go back and you probably can have all the steel you want. Ask them if they have any 'drops' you can have or for a good discount. Steel is really cheap. You should have about $200 in materials depending on how detailed you get, and how many sanding wheels it takes to make your weld look nice. If you have a Harbor Freight anywhere close its the best place to get 4 1/2" flapper wheels. 2 grinders are a plus and knotted wire wheel to knock off the slag.
Thanks for the info, I do have a Harbour Freight around the corner from where I work, I also have a slag hammer and grinders so I am good in that department.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look around online, find some $9.99 HF angle grinder coupons. The price is so cheap you can consider them almost disposable, and you can have different wheels on each one, so you don't have to be changing them often. I'm yet to burn one out, and I've had some of them for many years. I have 3 of the HF grinders, one of the older orange ones, and 2 of the newer black ones. The orange has a wire wheel for cleaning slag after I chip it, one black has a flap disc, and the other for cutting wheels. I have an older makita that I have a grinding wheel on. I actually prefer the switch on the black HF ones. The makita is recessed on the side, and can be a pain to turn off if wearing heavy gloves.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:34 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sweet bumper!

Do you think you can email me the sketches and measurements? I'm in the midst of trying to make a steel bumper but need help! Please and thank you
Arvizujohnny0777@gmail.com

Old 04-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that bumper looks awesome! just what i am in need of. i was looking for a cheaper and more durable than the original plastic one so the one you built looks perfect to me.
I will try to put all the pieces together little by little and once it is ready i will take it to a velder to put them together, i am sure it will be an easy task for em to velt it together