Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to find a switched power source on my D2.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

I think I’ve found a couple possibles for the S12 plug after scouring the electrical diagram manual. If I get one that works, I’ll post which one it was.

it will just make things easier as I can have a pigtail already there that I can solder the wires to. I’m also going to get the meter out and confirm the pin out and juice at the fuse block stated above.

Stranglely, the electrical manual I’ve got makes zero mention of the S12 and S13 plugs.

Last edited by longtallsally; 11-16-2018 at 07:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mollusc (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:46 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

I dug into the back of the interior fuse box on my old truck, splicing into a couple of switched and unswitched sources to power CB, GPS, phone, etc. I think the switched one was the circuit for the rear power outlet and the unswitched was the constant source for the clock. It's a real pain in the bum to pull that box though, so being able to plug into the front would be a huge advantage. I'm definitely in for an S12 if one can be identified.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I just more or less verified the pin out, so we’re good there.

Thus far, the closest I could find in studying the wiring diagram has been the wiper motor plug. I’ll try to get that pulled and see and report back.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Longtallsally, I know you said you didn't want to use a tap, but why not? I've had a couple of these in my truck for years. Works great.

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-16-2018, 10:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The electrical systems are suspect at best in Discos, and I don’t want to overload the way the engineers designed the circuits. I agree it can be done safely, but I’d prefer not to do it that way. And if I can use an OEM plug, it’s all th Elmore clean in implementation.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, how ya like them apples. Sure enough, my first guess based on research was correct!

The connector for the front wiper motor (on the vehicle side, not the motor) is an EXACT fit. So if you frequent Pic N Pulls, you can get quick and easy switched and non-switched juice in the dash.

For reference it’s connector C0030. Hope this helps someone...

mollusc (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:56 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Will definitely help me. I can pull the connector from my parts truck when the new one is finally reliable enough to not need the old one in working condition. Thanks for the investigative reporting!

Old 11-23-2018, 09:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just wired up the oil pressure gauge and even used the pin for the lights so the gauge Simms when they are on. Perfect.

[IMG]https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/Land...MG_3679-X2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-25-2018, 12:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default S12 and S13 Socket Connectors

Originally Posted by longtallsally
Can I revive an ancient thread? Are the plugs for S12 and S13 available anywhere?

Or more importantly, are those specific plugs used anywhere else of the vehicle? I have a parts truck and could use one there.

My use is an oil pressure gauge that I need constant and switched hot, and I don’t really want to use a tap or run all the way to the bay..

Help?

I still have the S12 and S13 socket connectors, if anyone wants to order them (PM me on here), or email = lr_connectors@btinternet.com

You're correct, in that the windscreen wiper motor connector (Grey) on the D2's harness is the same connector that fits the S12 socket

The same Grey connector can be found in some Rover cars - I don't think that you had them in the US (you didn't miss much )

The connector can also be found in some Japanese cars, especially Hondas, where it's usually in Light Green -

I don't know what car the Black version comes from.

I also don't know what cars the S13 socket connector can be found on - but, if you're searching through junk yards, I would concentrate on the Japanese cars.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Cool to know you are still around and doing it! Frankly, I was lazy and impatient. . Lazy in that I just laid in bed searching the electrical diagrams was easier than bugging you. Impatient as I didn’t want to wait for the post to the Colonies.

Thanks for all the detail you provided just above as well as the initial responses as it was unequivocally the guidance for what I did.

PaulMc (11-27-2018)

Quick Reply: I need to find a switched power source on my D2.