Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some deciding if this is a "good" deal or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:04 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some deciding if this is a "good" deal or not

I was looking for a bigger vehicle because my 2014 Mazda 3 isn't cutting it with three kids, ran across a 2000 land rover discovery II that I liked for $3000 with a list of "small" problems. Here's the craigslist post:

My 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 159,200 miles, being driven currently so mileage might go up. maintained by a land rover enthusiast, this truck runs and drives but needs some little things fixed. Great for someone that is handy with fixing small things. Engine runs strong and is good. Transmission is in good condition and shifts smoothly. Bought the truck in 2008 with 119,000 and have only put 40,000 miles on it in 7 years. I've listed below the upgrades that I have made and what needs to be looked at. Comes with two door keys, no key fobs.

Recent maintenance includes Oil changes with Shell Rotella every 3,500 miles, replaced brake booster, replaced master cylinder, brakes, water pump, valve cover gaskets, cooling system flush and new lines, upper intake manifold gasket, new front drive shaft, new timing chain gasket rebuild, sun roof motors, newer gold level advance auto battery.

Upgrades;

2004 Discovery Headlight Upgrade (Headlights from a 04 discovery)
Range Rover Sport Cut in Side Vents
Range Rover Sport 19" Inch Wheels and Matching 5th Wheel on back
Upgraded interior headliner
Front bumper brush guard recently refinished
Rebuilt pro quality front drive shaft
Front Hood Blackout
Rear Airbag to Coil Spring Conversion for back springs
Tow hitch
Truck has 2 sunroofs that both work
6 Disc CD Changer

Needs to be fixed:

Horn needs to be wired and spring under plastic buttons need to be replaced
Windshield has crack it in but does not affect view or yearly inspection
Check engine light comes on from time to time, not currently on, problem from EVAP code p0440, think its a bad gas cap, haven't had a chance to buy another one. it will stay off for a long time so inspection is not a problem.
Rear door hinge needs to be replaced
Doors do not lock (actuator needs to be replaced) and Drivers door locking mechanizem
Front driver seat has some tears in side but overall the seats are in good condition for the trucks age
A couple door hinges squeak
Has some motor lifter tapping
A couple doors seals could stand replacing
Tires have some tread will need to be replaced tire on back has 60 percent.
The "three amigos" lights are on the dash, does not affect driving or passing inspection, sensor problem with discovery's that are well known
Some dents and scratches some paint fade on front roof.
Inside needs to be cleaned.

Sale comes with complete Land Rover Discovery "Rave" Full Workshop Repair Manual

$3000 FIRM, Please contact me if you are interested in taking a look or ask any questions you might have. Please no tire kickers or time wasters. Please don't email or call with offers, I wont entertain them. If I don't receive what I'm asking I will part the truck out and get that and more. I am in Raleigh off of exit 290 I40, Chapel hill rd and trinity rd. I am available most of the time to show it or if you want to come and take a test drive.

The truck looks fantastic but some of the problems kind of concerned my fiance' so she's kinda weary to pull the plug. I wanted to know if these issues are too much to tackle. Need some insight It would be appreciated.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

No. Seller is on crack for $3K. The list of " Needs to be fixed:" multiply that by 20. Min add head gaskets and the windshield is toast. That crack is from the middle of the passenger side to the center of the truck and growing w every bump. " this truck runs and drives but needs some little things fixed" Things are only little if you have deep pockets. If you must convince yourself to buy this....PLEASE have a LR mechanic look at it FIRST. $3K will turn into $6K FAST. IMHO, save you $ and find a better truck.

This rig is just waiting to take your $$$. Land Rover Discovery DISCO II 4x4 SUV Truck
No.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

^agreed. Part it out and make double? Good f'in luck.

Everybody is firm in price until they are not, which is sooner than later. Never be in a hurry to buy a used car. There is always a better deal around the corner.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Run away!

way too high for all that it needs.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

3 amigos, CEL, door seals, door locks.... but it's been maintained by an enthusiast?
"Has some motor lifter tapping."
No thanks....

Old 02-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

At least the vendor is 'half' honest with the defects list Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole for €3K but as Abran says everyone weakens sooner rather than later. Leave it where it is unless you can get it cheapo and go into the breaking business. There's a lot better on the markets for maybe a bit more dosh.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That thing has been for sale forever, I remember seeing it listed on CL at $4k last year before I bought mine in September. I say either buy the best one you can afford/find, or buy one with a blown motor for next to nothing and know what you're getting into. And have anything you are seriously considering checked out by a LR shop before you pull the trigger.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks guys. everyone kind of hinted at the same thing. i was also concerned with the list of problems it had; the horn, windshield, 3 amigo lights, and the motor lifter taping were things i was very concerned about.

On another note, is buying a Discovery II from someone with the "3 amigo" lights on considered a bad and/or risky?