Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have a slipped sleeve...but no tick!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have a slipped sleeve...but no tick!

..just a constant coolant loss with no leaks anywhere. The engine has been completely resealed as it did have a headgasket leak. I was ASSuming that the only other possibility was a slipped sleeve. I can smell coolant and have used leakstop as a "what the hell I have nothing to lose at this point" fix and the coolant consumption stops...for a little while, then comes back. Strange that it does not tick though. Any other ideas guys? Also, it runs rough, after sitting, for the first approximately two minutes and then is smooth, the "service engine soon" light comes on but goes back out after several starts the same day. If it sits for a couple of days the process starts all over again. The spark plugs I just changed(in an effort to make sure they were ok) looked like they were dirty-not clean like a cylinder getting coolant in it.....gotta love these engines....my wife loves the Disco's size, look, and feel so I gotta do what I gotta do to fix it.
Scott

Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Overlanding

Seems like an internal leak. Do the chemical block test. I had a similar problem.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Do you smell coolant in the exhaust? Or from under the hood? If it's under the hood you've probably got some sort leak that you just haven't found yet.

A slipped sleeve won't cause an internal coolant leak or consumption. A cracked block will.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Lukefernando
Seems like an internal leak. Do the chemical block test. I had a similar problem.
And what did it turn out to be?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

well there are a few steps you SHOULD have taken before the stop leak. oh well too late.
have you done a pressure test????
have you done a block test.i.e. chemical test for exhaust gases in coolant.
You NEED to do these first. In a lot of cases the pressure test will locate a simple leak from a hose clamp that has come loose or the front cover etc.. if after running a pressure test and it is negative for loss of pressure than you should proceed to the chemical test. Do these then get back to us otherwise we have no idea what to tell you to look for. In the mean time depending on what type of leak stop you used you may also want to order a new thermostat and do a flush to get that crap out of you system.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jafir
Do you smell coolant in the exhaust? Or from under the hood? If it's under the hood you've probably got some sort leak that you just haven't found yet.

A slipped sleeve won't cause an internal coolant leak or consumption. A cracked block will.
From the exhaust. I do smell it up front occasionally, and it will also push coolant out of the expansion tank occasionally as well. Cracked block I suppose means replacing the engine as well, unless it's repairable??