Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I'm giving up on my Rover... options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
In the red in 1/2 mile - seems like stat is stuck closed, unless it does not do this at idle. Of course, an exhaust gas in coolant tests would confirm, but that much heat would just about have to come from a HG leak, or cracked head, or cracked block. You have done two HG. There is a limit to how far (how many times) they can mill down the heads. Might be time for KSeal, as a last ditch effort. Doesn't seem like it would make it worse. Most engines at salvage yards, if D2 vehicle not wrecked, are going to need HG. Seldom are runners sent to salvage. But great price on engines. If it warmed up, then went to hot, might consider an in-line thermostat set up with 160 F stat, if that would keep below overheat switched on temp.
Thanks Savannah. It wouldn't overheat while idling, only while running. It was right after that when they found the fan wasn't running and I needed a new fan clutch. After that they found the HG needed replacing again. There's no exhaust showing up in the tests anymore, it's just air. Post fixes, all that's happening is all the coolant is getting pushed out the overflow, and on the advice of the rover guy in tennessee this is all they think is possible as the problem.

@hhalimi
the yard they found the engine at offers a 1 year warranty on it, so that's good at least. my wife is a stay at home mom with our 8 month old. she doesn't have a daily commute or anything but the rover's gas mileage leaves something to be desired

@AZRover
I feel your pain, though it seems you've had a worse time of it than me. Almost all my problems have been cooling issues it seems. I learned a lot talking with my mechanics about it. Seems like the way the cooling works on my disco is not too smart. For starters, aluminum engine, it cycles coolant back through without having it go through the radiator first to cool off, and the temp sensor is in the middle of the engine so if it's overheating up top, it may not show up. This is just what I've gathered and maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Short end of the story was that my car is just waiting to overheat at any given time. There's less forgiveness for letting it get hot or letting things like a coolant leak go for any amount of time. I wasn't educated about it and didn't take enough care with those things. Could have saved myself some trouble, I'm sure, if I'd have known more.

@bullcrew
it's good to hear that it's not the rule that you're going to have problems. i think maybe rovers just need more attention to maintenance and quick action when a problem comes up. Like I said above, less forgiving. But I love the vehicle! Can't beat how I laugh in the face of snow here in MI.

@Spike
I haven't talked to any of those places. I've just been going through my shop so far and I don't know exactly who they talked to. I'll either be calling them myself Monday or having the guys at my shop call. I've been taking the rover to KAR Automotive on Chicago Drive near Burlingame. I used to go to Petey's Pit Stop but I couldn't track them down after they moved (maybe they never re-opened?) and I gave up. I've been hanging out at KAR a lot over the past months and I know all the guys there by first name and they know me when I call. I think they do work for a good price and they're more interested in the quality solution than the quick, cheap solution. I'd like to go through them if I can but if the price is right elsewhere, I'll go. Do you have any other recommendations for shops in the area?

Thanks all!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyzer

@AZRover
I feel your pain, though it seems you've had a worse time of it than me. Almost all my problems have been cooling issues it seems. I learned a lot talking with my mechanics about it. Seems like the way the cooling works on my disco is not too smart. For starters, aluminum engine, it cycles coolant back through without having it go through the radiator first to cool off, and the temp sensor is in the middle of the engine so if it's overheating up top, it may not show up. This is just what I've gathered and maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Short end of the story was that my car is just waiting to overheat at any given time. There's less forgiveness for letting it get hot or letting things like a coolant leak go for any amount of time. I wasn't educated about it and didn't take enough care with those things. Could have saved myself some trouble, I'm sure, if I'd have known more.

Kyzer......

At this point I've got too much money sunk into it to get rid of it, I debated before I spent all the money on her whether to get rid of her or keep her. I chose to keep her (Perla).... I really like this truck....it's a love/hate relationship. I knew what I was getting into and I knew the price would be steep. Aren't all women expensive?!?!?!?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont know what haqppened to Petey's either, they moved but I cant find them anywhere so I think they shut down.
They were having problems so it might have all come to a head.
I will have to check out this KAR place.
I would call Accurate engines and Austin Jordan myself if I were you.
Just tell them the problem and see what they say.