Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idiots quest for more power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
mini coopers run electric power steering, maybe beef up a unit like that?

Pelican Technical Article: MINI Cooper - Power Steering Pump Replacement
this chevy that I am driving has it. thinking about something like that

Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
That super lube version just has a linear groove.
Now that you mention the other cams....
I was unsure on low end loss with the others..they all say emphasis on mid or upper + hp, does that mean at sacrifice of low end or just not improving it. Thoughts?
I threw that ? At them and the say 229 is most popular for a reason
I realize this is kind of late, but the whole idea behind Rhoads lifters is that you can run an aggressive cam without giving up low end torque. The lifters bleed down at lower rpm and the lower oil pressure that goes along with it so they partially collapse as the lobe sweeps beneath them. This effectively reduces the lift of the cam which is what kills low end torque. As the revs and oil pressure increase, there is less time for the lifter to bleed down so it transfers the full lift of the camshaft through to the pushrods giving you the lift needed to feed the fuel at higher rpms. It basically gives you a variable lift cam. Plus some clatter.

The following users liked this post:
dusty1 (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I realize this is kind of late, but the whole idea behind Rhoads lifters is that you can run an aggressive cam without giving up low end torque. The lifters bleed down at lower rpm and the lower oil pressure that goes along with it so they partially collapse as the lobe sweeps beneath them. This effectively reduces the lift of the cam which is what kills low end torque. As the revs and oil pressure increase, there is less time for the lifter to bleed down so it transfers the full lift of the camshaft through to the pushrods giving you the lift needed to feed the fuel at higher rpms. It basically gives you a variable lift cam. Plus some clatter.
no,no. not too late at all. valve train and headers are all that I have had shipped.

so I like this idea...maybe I create a passing gear. what do you like?
53231 .....top end and upper bottom?

Old 11-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Pro Wrench

test...oh I see...I thought it was adjustable to set follower preload. so not like motorbike.

only needed if going form hydraulic to solid...correct
The adjustable pushrods for Rover V8s are to allow you to adjust the preload without using shims under the pedestals. They are for use in an operating engine, not for setup. Adjustable pushrods allow you to get the clearance consistent at each lifter rather than shooting for the best compromise with pedestal shimming. They also provide another advantage over shimming as they allow the rockers to operate at a better angle. Typically, pedestals need to be shimmed to make up for the heads being shaved. With the heads shaved, the tip of the valve stems are lower than they would be if the heads weren't shaved. If you shim up the pedestals to make the clearance correct with the stock pushrods, the rockers are now slightly angled toward the valves making the pushrods act against the rockers in a manner that puts more stress on the side of the pocket. I don't think this affects most Discovery owners but for a high-revving engine that might be a problem.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Pro Wrench

no,no. not too late at all. valve train and headers are all that I have had shipped.

so I like this idea...maybe I create a passing gear. what do you like?
53231 .....top end and upper bottom?
I like my stock 4.6! Actually, I'm not sure which cam would be best. You are on a VERY slippery slope now. Opened heads, high lift cams and high flow exhausts like big injectors and adjustable pressure regulators. Did the supercharged Rovers use different injectors? They would certainly have used more fuel than a normally aspirated engine.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

so, pushrods like the ones that are used in a motorbike. that makes more sense. if it was a temp set up, couldn't you just cut,drill, and tap the old ones. use those for your adjustments, then use those measurements?

as for my research no different injectors where used on the eaton supercharged rr. poor coverage was a major drawback.

Last edited by dusty1; 11-04-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

okay crower questions now.
they have listings for levels 2, 3, and 4. there are 2 options under each of those categories. one is 300cid and the other 340cid
for example 53229 is listed as 300 and 53230 is for 340. there are slight variations in lift, from one to the other. I want 53231, but 53232 is available at summit for $100 cheaper. that one is for 340cid. the gross lift is quite different.
can I use the 53232 or best to spend the extra from crower directly

Old 11-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Pro Wrench

The Cameron Concepts SSE p38's were apparently just stock motors with a low pressure blower. I saw a thread about one where the guy had over 100,000 miles on one. The fact that a company selling everything but blowers says they will kill your motor makes me wonder a little about the validity of that statement. Just the same, a blower or a turbo is a great way to make heat and they typically make their power at higher rpms so I would say it's not the way to go for a truck that gets wheeled. You can set them up to build power down low but then the higher rpm power suffers. Or you could get some super low gears for the diffs and low range in the transfer case and cruise around above 4,000 rpm all the time.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Pro Wrench

okay crower questions now.
they have listings for levels 2, 3, and 4. there are 2 options under each of those categories. one is 300cid and the other 340cid
for example 53229 is listed as 300 and 53230 is for 340. there are slight variations in lift, from one to the other. I want 53231, but 53232 is available at summit for $100 cheaper. that one is for 340cid. the gross lift is quite different.
can I use the 53232 or best to spend the extra from crower directly
The advantage of going directly to Crower is they will machine the snout to work in a motor without a distributor. Otherwise you will need to take it to a machine shop.

The following users liked this post:
dusty1 (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

good point. they aren't going to make $ on an eaton.....but i'd think they could make it up on modified intakes and junk like that, if they wanted.....
if I stick some stock tires on it, I probably would cruise at 4k with my 4.43s
I figure I will make enough of a boost that I will be sad about missing a supercharger.
4.0 to the 4.6 is probably enough to do that. the rest, I hope, is overkill.

on the road, with the go button mashed I would like to accelerate while going up a steep incline, rather than slowly loosing pace. off road, I want it to go, like I just popped the clutch in a 5speed @5k.
low gears make the off road power, tolerable. on the road......not so much.
I would be perfectly happy if it performed, on the highway, just as it did stock.

Quick Reply: idiots quest for more power?