Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you DID fix the three amigos, what was the faulty component ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Post If you DID fix the three amigos, what was the faulty component ?

Trying to collect a list of the solid proven causes for the problem. If the fix was achieved by replacing multiple items simultaneously, it may not give a solid clue to what was wrong.

Please post to tell us how did you successfully cured this cancer by precise replacement of which single part. It will be a useful thread for many.
Thanks.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

03 - I replaced the SVS, SV o-rings, and did the wiring bypass.

99 - I used the old SVS from my 03, because it tested good, and did just the wiring bypass.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to back up. First go get a scanner that read all the 16 codes for the ABS system, then fix the part and clear the code and your done with it, simple as that.
Have you even read the fault codes yet?

Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We replaced the SVS, o-rings and the ABS modulator. Looked at the bypass and decided against creating a new electrical circuit to worry about.

There is a complete kit at AB for the shuttle valve switch error.

Land Rover ABS Modulator Valve Kit (Same Fit As Genuine Part # SWO500040) | Land Rover Brake Parts

2003 Discovery 131K with all high miles services complete.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

That kit is rarely if ever needed as Josh's repair listed in the sticky at the top of this section will fix the same codes for around $140, valves and o-rings.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by borchera
We replaced the SVS, o-rings and the ABS modulator. Looked at the bypass and decided against creating a new electrical circuit to worry about.

There is a complete kit at AB for the shuttle valve switch error.

Land Rover ABS Modulator Valve Kit (Same Fit As Genuine Part # SWO500040) | Land Rover Brake Parts

2003 Discovery 131K with all high miles services complete.
That valve kit you linked to does fix the shuttle valve switch problem, and a lot of people are dead set against modifying any wiring, but my only problem with buying that kit is that there is no reason to believe that the exact same issue won't occur a couple of years down the road.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
That valve kit you linked to does fix the shuttle valve switch problem, and a lot of people are dead set against modifying any wiring, but my only problem with buying that kit is that there is no reason to believe that the exact same issue won't occur a couple of years down the road.
I weighed the decision carefully and did the homework. Had I not been able to find the same kit on eBay for a fraction of the cost, I would have rewired the Modulator or would have done the Hummer fix with a resoldering of the pins. I would agree the bypass does work and I opted not to have an additional wiring. Another debate I had was if there was faulting soldering on the pins what else could be faulty within the Modulator?

My research also showed WABCO became aware of the manufacturing defect/ faulting soldering and produced the kit with an updated modulator (a version 2.0.) We are over a year and half with the kit and all is well.

In response to Disco Mike, the kit identified does work for those with the SVS error 114 and is being presented as a repair for the ABS as the original poster requested. I would add however a suggestion to check eBay first.

2003 Discovery 131K with all high miles service complete.

Last edited by borchera; 12-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i had 3 amigos problems 3 times on my d2. two time it was hubs and the final time it was brake dust.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Fairly new to the board here.. Do the 3 Amigos NEED to be fixed ? Is it going to act up at some point on all DIi's? Just trying to get an idea of possbly adding this to the list of drve shaft replacement, head gaskets, and setting up an ultra gauge.. This obviously is in addition to the 60k/ new owner maintenance sticky..

Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was getting the shutter electrical error. The 3 amigo's would randomly appear but would always disappear if I cut the truck off and let it sit for a few minutes. I did the re-wiring of the valve (It tested good and not wet). Have been trouble free for 60 days and the T/C and Downhill Decent works great!!

Quick Reply: If you DID fix the three amigos, what was the faulty component ?