Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm pretty sure there is a way...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm pretty sure there is a way...

...but is there an easy way to make the rear bumper foglights turn signals and brake lights?

also, could I make the wipers go faster? In my parents trucks, and my previous vehicle, the front windshield wipers would be so much faster.

any info would be great! I really appreciate it!

John-Robert

Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I'm pretty sure there is a way...

You want to make lights?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You mean like melt plastic into a mold of the lights? You could go cheap and use colored saran wrap! HAHAHA you might want to elaborate more on what u mean by "make lights" then maybe we can help some more!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Three Wheeling

I would guess he wants to convert the rear fogs to brake and turn lights.
dk

Old 11-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Mudding

exactly..

just like I had said... is there a way to make the rear bumper foglights, either brake lights and/or turn signals??

Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am sure you can re-wire the lights to be whatever you want, and if you use LED lamps, you won't have to worry about overloading the circuit. Not sure exactly what you should do because mine already are.... it came that way.[:-]

Old 11-18-2007, 09:05 AM
8th Gear

No kidding, that was hard to understand. Do you know your make/year?
03-04 had the brake lights on the bumper. The 99-02 lights will need to be replaced with the 03-04.

This is quite simple to do, there is an alteration to make to the wiring as the plug for the high mounted lights does not fit the new light unit and on the new style lights, the indicators have been moved from bumper level, up to the high mounted light and the reverse light moved down the the old indicator position.

Start off by removing the bumper light, taking the passenger side, reach up behind the bumper to the right hand side of the light, push the spring clip towards the light body and push the light unit out, there are 2 locating lugs at the left hand side of the light which ‘hook’ into the bumper. Disconnect the 3 pin plug from the light unit.

Trace this 3 wire loom under the car to the corner and you will see its attached to the car with a plastic cable clip - cut this clip.

Now remove the high mounted light - 4 screws and unplug (or just cut off the plug) reach down inside the cavity and you will see how the wiring loom for the bumper light runs down this cavity and out through the bottom of the car - pull the wire up - paying attention that the plug on the end does not get caught.

You should now have the 2 wiring looms

Open up the bumper light 3 wire loom as shown. Locate and cut the indicator wire (its the left hand wire of the 3 when the plug is the correct way up) (right hand wire when doing driver side)

Attach an extra length of wire (400mm approx) via a spade connector connected from the plug side of the wire - label this ‘reverse’ now attach another length of wire to the loom side of the wire, label this ‘indicator’.

Install the wires and new connectors back into the loom cover, tape up and feed the wire back into the cavity, through to its bumper location, making sure that the 2 new wires you have fitted remain hanging out of the upper light hole. Fit new cable ties under the car body.

Now take the 4 wire light loom and using a test meter, identify which wire does what - set the meter to voltage - connect the -ve connector to the car body or suitable earth, touch the positive connector to the various wires as an assistant switches each one on in turn, a +12v reading indicates the correct wire. Black is the ground (earth) wire, you will have to identify the side lights, brake and reverse.
.................................PASSENGER SIDE.....................................DRIVER SIDE
SIDE LIGHTS.......... RED/BLACK............................................. ....RED/ORANGE
BRAKE.................... GREEN/PURPLE.........................................GRE EN/PURPLE
REVERSE.............. GREEN/BROWN...........................................GR EEN/BROWN
INDICATOR.............GREEN/RED............................................... ...GREEN/WHITE
If you have not previously done so, cut off the connector plug and install female type spade connectors to each of the wires, connect the reverse light wire from the 4 wire loom to the new wire you previously installed (and labeled ‘reverse’) above.

Using the new light unit, cut off the connector plug and fit male type spade connectors. The wires are identified as follows.
YELLOW - indicator.
BROWN - earth
BLUE - side lights
WHITE - brake light.

Using the new wire you previously installed (and labeled ‘indicator’) connect this directly to the new rear light unit - YELLOW connection.

Connect up the other wires, test the light and re-install.

Connect up the bumper light, test and clip back in position..