General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Issue - Not sure which way to go

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Issue - Not sure which way to go

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately my first post on this site has to be one asking for help. My wife's disco II died while running the other day. It will crank, but not run. After talking with multiple mechanics and spending hours on the forums, I checked the battery and security systems. Both are working fine. I then replaced the crank position sensor, still no help. When I disconnected the fuel line at the intake there was no fuel. When I spray starter fluid into the intake, the engine starts right up. So, I now figure fuel pump. However, when I broke the fuel lines apart under the car, I had pressurized fuel lines, and power was still flowing to the fuel pump, so I'm figuring is probably not the relay. I then thought I might have a collapsed fuel line somewhere around the transmission. I tried blowing compressed air through the fuel line from the mid car area forward and also vice versa, no air goes through. Now, however, when I reconnect and check the fuel lines, they are not pressurizing even when I try to bleed them.

I know the rover needs a new MAF sensor, as I have all the codes that it is bad and I have one on order. Could the MAF sensor have any connection to why I have no fuel? Could it be a collapsed fuel line? Bad Fuel Pump? I'm not sure what to check next and I don't want to randomly replace parts. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:23 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like the fuel pump. It may be able to provide pressure but just not enough to feed engine. $180.00 at roverconnection.com. Easy fix. I did mine last weekend.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The MAF won't cause this. I would suggest you get a good scanner and read the voltage signal from the crank sensor, bet you still have a crank sensor issue.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Mike,
When you say a good scanner can you give give me a little more info? I asume you are thinking of something other than your run of the mill ODBII scanner for $200 right?

Thanks Dave

Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Any scanner that will take freeze frames and allow you to read specific sensors. Go to Amazon.com and do a search for scanners, last month I bought a 3130 from them for around $134, retails for a good $300 elsewhere, does everything I could ever want with the exception of the ABS issues.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:41 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

how about jumping the fuel pump relay to see if it works first?

listen under the truck.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the help guys. I replaced the MAF sensor and the only code remaining on the OBDII scanner seems to be related to the security system. I think the Fuel pump was in the process of dying. Now, I get power to the fuel pump when the engine is cranked, but no fuel flow out of the pump. I ordered a fuel pump and gasket and plan on installing it this weekend. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
3rd Gear

All Fixed! Multiple Issues have been corrected. The problem was a combination of things. It seems that not only did the fuel pump die, but one of the relays was bad as well. Replacing the pump and relay, along with the new MAF contributed to a large increase in power and smooth response from the throttle that I was not expecting. MPG has gone up significantly as well.

We also ended up replacing the upper cooling assembly with a new bleed valve and assembly. Hopefully this will correct any issues with coolant leaks.

Looking forward to heading into the Ocala National Forest tomorrow for some 4 wheeling and shooting at the range! Thanks for all the help.