Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

induction cleaning: how much smoke are we really talking about here

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

When done right and if the motor is in need of this, it will smoke like a barn on fire for at least 15 minutes of driving.
Make sure to use the whole can and let it sit for at least 30 minutes before driving it.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok guys quick question while we are on the subject, my brother drives a 93 mazda mx3 and he just failed his emissions yesterday, he only missed the 3 limits by a few points each (just barely failed) I was going to suggest to him that since it was that close he should do the induction cleaning and run high test in the car for a week or two. have any of you ever tried this for boosting emissions? and if so how did it work? I have heard a few stories when I was an emissions tester about it working, but really never saw anything conclusive.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
ok guys quick question while we are on the subject, my brother drives a 93 mazda mx3 and he just failed his emissions yesterday, he only missed the 3 limits by a few points each (just barely failed) I was going to suggest to him that since it was that close he should do the induction cleaning and run high test in the car for a week or two. have any of you ever tried this for boosting emissions? and if so how did it work? I have heard a few stories when I was an emissions tester about it working, but really never saw anything conclusive.
It sounds reasonable to me that a good cleaning and good fuel may do the trick as long as the vehicle is in a relatively good state of tune to start with

Old 02-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elboy0712

or like bubba burnin tires behind the trailer kind of smoke......

Dude, I can't stop laughing. This is the most accurate description of a Seafoam treatment I have ever see.

Your best bet is going to be to either do it at night, or do it somewhere in the stick where nobody is going to see it.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default please, Father forgive me ... for I am about to sin...!!

:
:
------------------------
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Old 02-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
Now, what I am about to tell you is true story, but this is not, I repeat, NOT a recommendation.

10 years or so ago, I was the manager of an emissions testing facility in Illinois, back when IL did dyno and tail pipe sniffer testing. I had a car come through that had failed and the owner came into the office, furious about the result.
He asked me when he could retake the test. I replied as soon as he wanted, but it was pointless until he got his car fixed. He told me he was going to buy a bottle of vinegar, put it in the tank and take the test again. He did, half an hour after the original test, and passed with fairly impressive numbers.
I have no explanation, perhaps some smarter than me on this board will, but my job was to test and he passed.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default im from illinois originally

i remember those damn testing places... how long did that actually last i only remember having to do it twice...

Old 02-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My suggestion would be to perform the cleaning late at night. Seems to attract less attention when dark, harder to pin point vehicle smoking like greasy BBQ in July LOL

Old 02-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elboy0712
i remember those damn testing places... how long did that actually last i only remember having to do it twice...
I only lasted three months there, but they are still here. They only do OBD readings now. Too many complaints about dynos screwing up cars.