Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The inevitibilty of issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The inevitibilty of issues?

A lot of space is dedicated on this board about certain issues that are common to Discos like headgaskets and the Three Amigos.

Many of these issues can be avoided or at least forestalled if people would just do preventitve maintenance on a regular basis. For example headgaskets; most headgaskets fail for two reasons overheating and chemical degradation of the coolant. The coolant actually becomes acid over time and eats gaskets and corrodes heat cores and radiators. Over time it can get so bad that your coolant will actually turn your motor into a battery with measurable voltage causing electrolosis! I just bought an 01 Disco and the first thing I did was replace the thermostat, waterpump and expansion tank and throughly flush the cooling system then I added two bottles of Wetter Water, a well know surfactant, that keeps coolant from becoming acidic and eating gaskets and heater cores. The reason, I replaced the water pump and thermostat was because they were already beyond their service life and I would rather replace them under my own terms in my own garage instead of having it go out and cause an overheat on the road or worse yet when the wife would be out driving ignoring the temp gauge as it starts to climb.

An aquaintnce of mine who was a professional foriegn car mechanic told me he cured his own "Three Amigos Problem" with just a through brake fluid flush not a lazyman's turkey baster, half assed, way. Last night I got under my disco and with the help of a kid, who pumped for me, I flushed out all of the yucky beer colored, water saturated brake fluid and topped it off wit fresh clean, clear DOT 4. It took about 40 minutes. It's quite obvious why icky water laden brake fluid degrades "shuttle valves"

Most of us tend to buy vehicles used and the scars of neglect are already showing. Many of the previous owners dont want to pay $300 for a brake fluid flush or $200 for a cooling system flush and had never even heard of Wetter Water' So they just let these things go becasue they dont cause an immediate problem. This is especially true when the vehicles are at the 50k miles, plus range: they are off the warranty and the first owner is thinking it's time to trade so they dont spend a dime on maintnance. My own wife, was wondering why I was changing all these fluids and parts when there wasn't any problem with the vehicle.

Last edited by bostongrun; 05-08-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well said indeed. For the $2400 an experienced indy shop may charge for an HG job, you can do a lot of DIY preventative repairs.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bostongrun
A lot of space is dedicated on this board about certain issues that are common to Discos like headgaskets and the Three Amigos.

Many of these issues can be avoided or at least forestalled if people would just do preventitve maintenance on a regular basis. For example headgaskets; most headgaskets fail for two reasons overheating and chemical degradation of the coolant. The coolant actually becomes acid over time and eats gaskets and corrodes heat cores and radiators. Over time it can get so bad that your coolant will actually turn your motor into a battery with measurable voltage causing electrolosis! I just bought an 01 Disco and the first thing I did was replace the thermostat, waterpump and expansion tank and throughly flush the cooling system then I added two bottles of Wetter Water, a well know surfactant, that keeps coolant from becoming acidic and eating gaskets and heater cores. The reason, I replaced the water pump and thermostat was because they were already beyond their service life and I would rather replace them under my own terms in my own garage instead of having it go out and cause an overheat on the road or worse yet when the wife would be out driving ignoring the temp gauge as it starts to climb.

An aquaintnce of mine who was a professional foriegn car mechanic told me he cured his own "Three Amigos Problem" with just a through brake fluid flush not a lazyman's turkey baster, half assed, way. Last night I got under my disco and with the help of a kid, who pumped for me, I flushed out all of the yucky beer colored, water saturated brake fluid and topped it off wit fresh clean, clear DOT 4. It took about 40 minutes. It's quite obvious why icky water laden brake fluid degrades "shuttle valves"

Most of us tend to buy vehicles used and the scars of neglect are already showing. Many of the previous owners dont want to pay $300 for a brake fluid flush or $200 for a cooling system flush and had never even heard of Wetter Water' So they just let these things go becasue they dont cause an immediate problem. This is especially true when the vehicles are at the 50k miles, plus range: they are off the warranty and the first owner is thinking it's time to trade so they dont spend a dime on maintnance. My own wife, was wondering why I was changing all these fluids and parts when there wasn't any problem with the vehicle.
Completely agree with what you said, Preventive Medicine is the Key.
I recently rustproofed my wife's car, poeple were telling me don't do it, doesn't need it and you will not keep the car for that long any way and ... The car is still under warranty and has free maintennence, but the dealer will not change oil in less than 10k miles, I usually change the oil and filter once in between, cheap insurance. But alot of poeple just do what the mechanic or dealer tell them to do. and after warranty they go to the AlCheapo oil change and never know if there is any other type of fluid in the car.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And a lot of guys purchase a used Disco cheap, then find out just how much service was overlooked. Takes time and toil to catch up.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a slowly growing parts box that I need to put into my D2, although I knew full well what I was getting myself into and so I kind of enjoy it.