Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inline PCV:

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 01:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Dear JackSpratt,

As Extinct said, reading this thread beginning with your recent posts is painful. Please take a deep breath.

As of the time i'm writing this you have 10 posts on this forum, 9 of them in this thread. Yet you have the temerity to challenge not only several seasoned members of this forum who have earned their chops over many, many years but also a highly-qualified, highly-respected forum senior moderator with no indication about whether or not you have any relevant mechanical experience.

You have an '02 Discovery. You have tried to remove the plastic oil separator and that's been difficult. Okay. It took me several cycles of spray-soak-wiggle-repeat to get the oil separator out on my truck. Let's accept that the one in your truck is stuck like no other one ever reported here. No problem. Why not just use the method described for the '03-'04 trucks and remove the metal tube in which the oil separator is mounted from the valve cover, then do whatever it takes to remove the plastic oil separator?

Or, as suggested by Extinct, just drill it out in situ and vacuum out the pieces. (Or as mollusc taught me yesterday, the swarf. Great word.)

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

mln01

The following 2 users liked this post by mln01:
DCDisco2 (05-25-2020), jastutte (05-26-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I just want to say how much I appreciate everything and everyone here and hope I'm not getting lumped in with anyone who has a bad attitude. I’m a bit new to all this. I’m 34, but my first car was my family’s 1991 Range Rover, which I still have although it has some brake issues. I got the DII about 5 years ago because of how much I love the RR and there’s a lot that’s similar between them. I might be new to a lot of this, but I’m a lifer. I learn and I don’t give up, but there’s a lot to learn and I’m very cautious around things I’m not too familiar with, so I ask a ton of questions. I don’t need them all answered, of course, and I think y’all know that - I’m just curious. I’m a computer engineer, not any sort of professional mechanic and learning about everything I can has been a lot of fun, as well as challenging. My dad and his brother were aircraft mechanics in the Air Force and I like to think I’ve got some of that in me somewhere. I know how to do a good amount of building, plumbing and electrical work, but this is a bit different and I don’t have much mechanical experience other than working on the Floyd Rose bridges on my guitars. I’m proud of myself for managing this PCV modification, which was only complicated in my case because of the silly problems I encountered (nipple fused to intake or epoxied and fumbling with the metal tube and having to go fishing for it). It might seem stupefying, but learning to replace the CPS, do an oil change and complete this modification are big steps for me.

So, please don’t associate me with anyone else And thank you all again for the great modification and help getting through it. I appreciate it! Happy Memorial Day

The following 2 users liked this post by neuropathy:
Best4x4 (05-25-2020), jastutte (05-26-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 06:21 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Dear JackSpratt,

As Extinct said, reading this thread beginning with your recent posts is painful. Please take a deep breath.

As of the time i'm writing this you have 10 posts on this forum, 9 of them in this thread. Yet you have the temerity to challenge not only several seasoned members of this forum who have earned their chops over many, many years but also a highly-qualified, highly-respected forum senior moderator with no indication about whether or not you have any relevant mechanical experience.

You have an '02 Discovery. You have tried to remove the plastic oil separator and that's been difficult. Okay. It took me several cycles of spray-soak-wiggle-repeat to get the oil separator out on my truck. Let's accept that the one in your truck is stuck like no other one ever reported here. No problem. Why not just use the method described for the '03-'04 trucks and remove the metal tube in which the oil separator is mounted from the valve cover, then do whatever it takes to remove the plastic oil separator?

Or, as suggested by Extinct, just drill it out in situ and vacuum out the pieces. (Or as mollusc taught me yesterday, the swarf. Great word.)

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

mln01
Nope. I don't appreciate these comments or the sarcasm. Since my posts are too painful to read .. and I'm not allowed to question anyone on this forum ...or share my experience doing this mod .... I will take my questions elsewhere.

My parting comments to sum it up:

I have 99-02 and the baffle is impossible to remove. Its in there like concrete. I spent HOURS spraying waiting and pulling. And this is supposed to be a "5 minute job" on 99-02 . How much more time should I spend? I ordered the PCV value, a new tube from Uro, and new clips.. got everything ready and The Baffle will not come out. Next step is to drill it out and use a vacuum .. hoping no bits fall into the engine. Am I right? And what if some bits do fall in? The dealership wants almost $1,000.00 to remove the top end if some bits fall in and refused to drill it out saying it's part of the engine and they will just put a new baffle in because that's their rules. The guy at the crummy gas station wants $100 to drill it out - but if it breaks and falls in I have to pay him to remove the valve cover. Now the shop has a reason to let it fall in .. or better yet ... say some bits fell in when it didn't and bill me.

That baffle is in like concrete. I tried pulling out the metal tube like you said just now and it's also welded in. It's not coming out and I feel like I may have squeezed it too hard and deformed it. As for PSI I have an oil pressure gauge. After all this it shows 1-2 PSI less than it did before. Maybe it was clogged before. I don't know. All I know is its 1-2 less PSI than before. Maybe it will go back to normal after it adapts to the flow. So right now I have a clean baffle with 2-3 discs left ... a new tube .. and the PCV valve. But the hole on the PCV valve is a little SMALLER than the hole on the OEM plastic valve. Not sure how that would affect it. Are you ?

If it came out that would be great. But it didn't. Now its too much to risk. It won't come out even with 50-70 lbs of pull I snapped it off WITH THE SCREW. I don't want those bits in my engine. So I will just have to remember to spray cleaner down there once a year. As long as I have a flow it should be fine.

And since my painful to read comments are not welcome on this forum ...for sharing my experience with this mod ...and daring question it ... I will join another forum that allows allows me to talk. I bid you adieu gentlemen. You will not see me here again. Have a nice day.

EDIT : Tried to deactivate or delete my profile. Theres not an option on user settings. So if you could please deactivate or delete my profile that would be appreciated.

Last edited by JackSpratt; 05-25-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:48 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Happy Memorial Day Jack. Be well

Old 05-25-2020, 07:07 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

I think jack has a negative cranky ventilator or

ncv

Old 05-25-2020, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Please prove the loss in Oil PSI. What is the # of the shop? I'll gladly talk to them and walk them thru the process on how to remove the baffle.

​​Sorry but a loss in Oil PSI is impossible from this mod/upgrade! You did absolutely nothing to the mechanical oil pump! If the OEM baffle is not clogged = air flows back to the intake. This upgrade to a real working PCV does absolutely nothing to the flow. It just puts and end to the OEM baffle from getting totally stopped up and making your engine build up execessive amounts of crankcase pressure which causes the oil to seep oil from every gasket.

I have asked until I am blue in the face for pics/info of your situation, so I could help, but you've provided nothing and I can't fix nor diagnose something I can not see.

There is an internal plate inside your valve cover and even if a piece of the plastic baffle did manage to fall inside the engine chances are it would get stuck above that plate.

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-25-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JackSpratt
Nope. I don't appreciate these comments or the sarcasm. Since my posts are too painful to read .. and I'm not allowed to question anyone on this forum ...or share my experience doing this mod .... I will take my questions elsewhere.

My parting comments to sum it up:

I have 99-02 and the baffle is impossible to remove. Its in there like concrete. I spent HOURS spraying waiting and pulling. And this is supposed to be a "5 minute job" on 99-02 . How much more time should I spend? I ordered the PCV value, a new tube from Uro, and new clips.. got everything ready and The Baffle will not come out. Next step is to drill it out and use a vacuum .. hoping no bits fall into the engine. Am I right? And what if some bits do fall in? The dealership wants almost $1,000.00 to remove the top end if some bits fall in and refused to drill it out saying it's part of the engine and they will just put a new baffle in because that's their rules. The guy at the crummy gas station wants $100 to drill it out - but if it breaks and falls in I have to pay him to remove the valve cover. Now the shop has a reason to let it fall in .. or better yet ... say some bits fell in when it didn't and bill me.

That baffle is in like concrete. I tried pulling out the metal tube like you said just now and it's also welded in. It's not coming out and I feel like I may have squeezed it too hard and deformed it. As for PSI I have an oil pressure gauge. After all this it shows 1-2 PSI less than it did before. Maybe it was clogged before. I don't know. All I know is its 1-2 less PSI than before. Maybe it will go back to normal after it adapts to the flow. So right now I have a clean baffle with 2-3 discs left ... a new tube .. and the PCV valve. But the hole on the PCV valve is a little SMALLER than the hole on the OEM plastic valve. Not sure how that would affect it. Are you ?

If it came out that would be great. But it didn't. Now its too much to risk. It won't come out even with 50-70 lbs of pull I snapped it off WITH THE SCREW. I don't want those bits in my engine. So I will just have to remember to spray cleaner down there once a year. As long as I have a flow it should be fine.

And since my painful to read comments are not welcome on this forum ...for sharing my experience with this mod ...and daring question it ... I will join another forum that allows allows me to talk. I bid you adieu gentlemen. You will not see me here again. Have a nice day.

EDIT : Tried to deactivate or delete my profile. Theres not an option on user settings. So if you could please deactivate or delete my profile that would be appreciated.
Dunning-Kruger strikes again.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I just wanted to share an image of the oil separator I removed - I pulled the metal sleeve out, clamped it and just drilled the oil separator, so it’s not a perfect pull like some of yours, but you can tell the thing was totally clogged with solid gunk - it doesn’t look like anything was flowing through here for a while. I’m really happy to have dealt with this. Thanks y’all

The following 5 users liked this post by neuropathy:
Best4x4 (05-28-2020), boston4 (05-29-2020), jastutte (05-28-2020), JUKE179r (10-08-2020), Richard Gallant (05-28-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:29 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I did this install last night with a V288 PCV, took about 20 minutes. I was surprised how clean my baffle was when I removed it. It came right out with a pair of needle nose pliers. It didn't have any sludge on it and looked like it was still working properly.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:17 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

So, for those who have done this, any negative side effects? I would think it could possibly cause a rough idle since the PCV valve that's being put in isn't really dialed in for this engine. If at idle it pulls too much air, it could act like a vacuum leak. But, that's just theory. Also, has this actually stopped anyone's valve cover leaks?

Quick Reply: Inline PCV: