Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inline PCV:

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

What model year D2 do you have? I have never come across a single D2 when performing this mod that ever gave me any serious issues. On a 99-02 D2 you would take a small 1/8 drill bit or smaller and just slowly drill thru the OEM plastic baffle. Then screw in a 2.5inch long dry wall screw and simply grab it and pull up. The only thing that would be holding into place would be oil deposits, and with several shots of carb/brake clean (if needed) it will come out as nothing in that tube on a 99-02 is holding the baffle in.

On 03-04 D2's the entire tube must be removed. By simply spraying around the tube with some carb spray or even lube you should then just be able to twist it free with a pair of pliers, then as your twisting gently pull up and the tube will simply pull out. Then you can take the tube into your shop to either tap out the old OEM plastic baffle or drill it out. Then you would open the hole on the tube and re-install it.

I've always done the PCV install on stone cold engines.

I will need more info, like model year, and pictures so I can help you better.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:23 AM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

On 03/04 :
  • lots of penetrating oil around the base of the tube
  • go for drive warm things up
  • more penetrating oil
  • let it cool down
  • I used mini vice grips to grab then just twist left and right with upward pressure
  • If it does not turn repeat the penetrating oil
It took me 3 tries but then it popped right out

Old 05-24-2020, 02:21 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
What model year D2 do you have? I have never come across a single D2 when performing this mod that ever gave me any serious issues. On a 99-02 D2 you would take a small 1/8 drill bit or smaller and just slowly drill thru the OEM plastic baffle. Then screw in a 2.5inch long dry wall screw and simply grab it and pull up. The only thing that would be holding into place would be oil deposits, and with several shots of carb/brake clean (if needed) it will come out as nothing in that tube on a 99-02 is holding the baffle in.

On 03-04 D2's the entire tube must be removed. By simply spraying around the tube with some carb spray or even lube you should then just be able to twist it free with a pair of pliers, then as your twisting gently pull up and the tube will simply pull out. Then you can take the tube into your shop to either tap out the old OEM plastic baffle or drill it out. Then you would open the hole on the tube and re-install it.

I've always done the PCV install on stone cold engines.

I will need more info, like model year, and pictures so I can help you better.

02 V8 USA model

Used brake evap cleaner and MAF cleaner.

Nothing works. It's in there like concrete. Waiting until it's cold to try again. Been reading some old posts on this. Without the oil separator ... the oils going up the tube. Also the Brass PVC hole is smaller than the plastic intake hole.

How long have you proven this mod ? Do you know if it's safe ?

Old 05-24-2020, 02:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DCDisco2
if you show us what you got, we can tell you if it’s right

I got this : https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...JTdQZTsw%3D%3D

Old 05-24-2020, 04:59 AM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

If you really can't get the plastic separator/baffle piece out of the tube in the valve cover, follow the directions for the 2003-04 trucks and remove the tube entirely. Then it shouldn't be any problem at all to remove the baffle. Reinstall the tube and proceed with the rest of the mod.
Best4x4 has run this mod on multiple trucks for years. Many other forum members have done it as well, with positive results.

There should be no oil going up the tube. Oil vapour, yes, but no liquid oil. And what is the "plastic intake hole"?

Old 05-24-2020, 05:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mollusc
If you really can't get the plastic separator/baffle piece out of the tube in the valve cover, follow the directions for the 2003-04 trucks and remove the tube entirely. Then it shouldn't be any problem at all to remove the baffle. Reinstall the tube and proceed with the rest of the mod.
Best4x4 has run this mod on multiple trucks for years. Many other forum members have done it as well, with positive results.

There should be no oil going up the tube. Oil vapour, yes, but no liquid oil. And what is the "plastic intake hole"?
There is a plastic sleeve inside the PVC hole that moves around. It blocks the air flow going to the valve cover. It only allows air flow 1 way.

The tube doesn't unscrew. It's welded in. I just snapped 2 discs off the baffle. There are 3 discs remaining and the baffle is stuck like concrete. I am spraying brake cleaner and WD-40 in pulling up with tremendous force. 50-70 lbs if it were a dumb bell at the gym. There is zero movement. Nothing.

This engine has overheated to 250 degrees before. Maybe it burned the baffle into the tube or melted and it's hooked under the valve cover. I'm telling you this thing will not move.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:53 AM
TReK

You're right -- the tube doesn't unscrew. It's pressed in place. Should not be welded.
In the very worst case you could remove the valve cover. If the baffle is really as embedded as you say, that might be your only option. I would be curious as to whether any vapour was getting past your baffle at all.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mollusc
You're right -- the tube doesn't unscrew. It's pressed in place. Should not be welded.
In the very worst case you could remove the valve cover. If the baffle is really as embedded as you say, that might be your only option. I would be curious as to whether any vapour was getting past your baffle at all.
The brake cleaner fluid and oil I'm spraying into the baffle is dissapearing fast So it's def not clogged. I don't know how to get that metal tube out and I'm not taking off the valve cover. The benefits from this mod are yet to be proven.

This was supposed to be a 5 minute job. Now It's turning into hours of spraying waiting and pulling. Wondering if I can just screw in the PCV valve, leave the baffle and be done with it.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 AM
TReK

You could try drilling into the plastic separator. Go slow and clear away the swarf quickly. Perhaps use a vacuum cleaner as you drill. The objective is just to have a clear hole there, rather than any kind of baffle or blockage.
As for "yet to be proven," if you've read threads on here you'll see that many people have reported a dramatic reduction in oil leaks after doing it, as the pressure is lowered inside the engine.

The metal tube comes out by twisting and pulling. It's just a press fit. Unless someone has altered your particular vehicle.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

JackSpratt I'm sorry but you are NOT reading or following the directions properly.

You say you have an 02 which means you DO NOT have to remove the tube on the valve cover! You are only removing the OEM plastic baffle from the tube. It WILL come out as nothing is keeping it in except oil varnish. Drilling a small hole completely thru it, inserting a screw and pulling up = just like removing a cork from a wine bottle basically.

The only way you would have the unclosed tube = valve cover is off of a 4.6L 03-04 engine.

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-24-2020 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Inline PCV: