Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Alex M's back up lights--Screwed up (I think) Cant get it out of Park Now!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Installing Alex M's back up lights--Screwed up (I think) Cant get it out of Park Now!

UPDATE: Problem found. had a second blown fuse.

Alex/All, was just trying to open your back up light mod thread to contact you, and, for some reason, it would not open. I Need some help. I screwed up (I think)

Got the LED lights today, and got them installed in my bumper. when I went to wire them I turned on my key and put it in reverse so I could determine which wire was ground and which was power for the back up light. I Realized I was going to need to just cut off the LR connector and direct wire to the harness,.....so got my cutters,..............then forgot that the key was on and in reverse,.......and just cut across all three wires. As soon as I did that, It occurred to me that I had power in that lead, and figured I just blew a fuse. I did blow a fuse, but, after replacing the fuse (#4), I still did not have power at the back up light harness. Further, when I hopped in the car and put it in park and shut it off,......Now, I cant get it out of park with the key back on and truck running

Thinking I screwed up my Neutral safety/reverse (XYZ?) switch,.....any thoughts?

Brian in Austin

Last edited by bcolins; 04-08-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Probably just burned-out the bulbs. I was told that if your brake lamp goes out, the shifter solenoid will not disengage. I was going to suggest the fuse, if the bulbs weren't blown

Old 04-08-2016, 08:26 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Probably just burned-out the bulbs. I was told that if your brake lamp goes out, the shifter solenoid will not disengage. I was going to suggest the fuse, if the bulbs weren't blown
Have had no reverse lights at all in the truck for a while and never had a problem until I was installing Alex Ms LED Back up lights today, and cut through the reverse light wires,......forgetting there was power to them (as described in my original post)

Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

BRAKE bulbs. BRAKES. (How did you even miss that??) Reverse lights don't matter. If you burned out a brake light the trans won't shift out of park. If you blew a fuse, I'm sure it's the problem. Go step on the brakes and see what you got

Last edited by chubbs878; 04-08-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by chubbs878
BRAKE bulbs. BRAKES. (How did you even miss that??) Reverse lights don't matter. If you burned out a brake light the trans won't shift out of park. If you blew a fuse, I'm sure it's the problem. Go step on the brakes and see what you got
I didn't miss it,....I thought you misunderstood what I was talking about. And second, I had a burned out brake light a month back and I drove it daily for a couple of weeks with no issues. (and yes, I did eventually replace the bulb)

Are you suggesting that my short circuiting the reverse lights harness this afternoon somehow burned out my brake lights and that that is causing the issue?

Old 04-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Winching

I did a search on the site for "Stuck in Park" (should have done that before) and found a guy with an RRC that had the same problem and he too mentions having known someone with a Disco that had a blown brake light fuse. So,....I went looking for the brake light fuse,.................and sure enough,.....it was also blown. Replaced and all is good now looking forward to wiring up the New LED reverse lights tomorrow.

Thanks Chubbs878 for pointing me in the right direction

Last edited by bcolins; 04-09-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Glad to hear you hear you got it worked out! I read the title and thought "Oh ****, what did I help cause someone to do?" Very happy it was just a couple fuses.