Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing my DIY completely rebuilt engine - QUICK IDLER PULLEY QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Installing my DIY completely rebuilt engine - QUICK IDLER PULLEY QUESTION

I have finally finished my DIY complete engine rebuild. If you have read my other cylinder liner/sleeve and DIY engine rebuild threads, that I've been remiss in updating, you will be happy to know that I have videotaped the complete re-assembly of the engine. It is all in 720p High Definition video and will be uploaded in the next few days onto YouTube for all to see - about 20GB worth of footage walking you through everything from main bearing install to lifter preload & rocker pedestal/tower shimming.

Anyways, when I bought the car it was supposedly suffering from a leaky head gasket - WRONG - it was a crack in the block. I ended up getting the crack welded and installed top-hat/flanged cylinder liners. The previous owner had the truck at a Land Rover dealer to diagnose it and then decided to take it home after a few days and so I wound up with a box full of parts.

I DO NOT have the 80mm idler pulley for the driver's/left side. Does anyone know a quick source for the pulley? My tensioner pulley was seized and so I took it apart and greased it, but have some new bearings coming in for the alternator, tensioner, and passenger jockey pulley.

Can I buy the 80mm driver's side pulley WITH BOLT & WASHER at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, Carquest, or NAPA? If my best/quickest chance is the dealer, it is a 2003, so is it covered by the recall for the pulley to be replaced by a metal one?

Thank you

Old 04-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Take old one with you and match it up. Or swing by the boneyard.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Take old one with you and match it up. Or swing by the boneyard.
Don't have old one - wasn't in the box of parts the seller gave me.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Three Wheeling

Update: Called NAPA, didn't have anything in 17mm x 80mm x 26 mm (inner bearing diameter x outer diameter x thickness) sizing. I also scoured their website and the closest pulley I found was #NBH 38027 --> 17x82x25 - $27.49.

I then called CarQuest, they looked up the vehicle info and double checked the outer diameter of 80mm, was $48.51 and they had to order it from a European Supplier, but will have it by noon today. It includes a bolt and the dust shields. I'll update again when I go to pick up the idler and verify the sizing and include the part number.

Local dealer wanted $87.93 for 80mm pulley and $40.02 for 70mm pulley (BOTH PLASTIC).

Land Rover Part Numbers:
80 mm Pulley - PQR101150
70 mm Pulley - PQR500060