Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a new deck

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a new deck

The stock deck is fun and all, but for AUX connections, my best bet is a feed through the cassette. I am tired of doing this, so I am going to get a new deck for sure. (Plus the tape gets caught in the deck often, and reads "No Tape")

I have the 6 CD changer under the passenger seat, and i was wondering if I would still be able to access that with a new deck. That is a big deal for me, as well as the ease of install. Disco decks are slightly larger, and I was wondering what the process would be of replacing it. If it is a task too large I will just not mess around with it.

If someone knows the details and the hardest parts of self installation, that would be great. I want to "upgrade" and I know you "Disco freaks" can help.

Thanks for your time and help.

-Cédric

Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 AM
5th Gear

Oh, and it's a 2000 Disco II, if that changes anything

Old 05-29-2009, 03:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

first step would be to get a dash kit (they do make them) and wiring harness (you will need the amplifier integration harness)as this is your best route, although bypassing the amp with an aftermarket deck will give you better sound even though it is more work. Integrating with the stock CD changer is pretty much impossible however considering the fact that most aftermarket CD players now are MP3 players I am not sure why this is a big concern to you (just burn an MP3 cd and you will get the same amount of music as the CD changer if not more on one disk) if you need any more help let me know as I can walk you through whatever you decide to do. And if you are not sure about MP3's it is completely legal to convert all of your music from multiple CD's to 1 MP3 CD, and you can get the software for your computer to do it for free.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM
5th Gear

Well it was really only a concern because the CD changer would become useless, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Ok, so I think I'm going to go through with it. If you know a list of parts I will need. (even the smallest things) and where to get them.
Also, if there is a video or text walkthrough out there that is accurate, that would be great.

Thanks for all you help guys.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to www.crutchfield.com they have everything you need from wiring harnesses to dash kits and you just select what type of vehicle you have and they tell you all the parts you need, they ship super fast and come with pretty good vehicle specific instructions...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

just make sure you tell them you need the amplifier integration harness (It can be a major headache when you get the wrong harness in the mail). As for the install pretty straight forward with the harness and dash kit, the dash kit should have a little instruction sheet and the harness is matching colors. You may need some keys to remove the factory radio but I am sure if you go to your local Best Buy and ask an installer they will pop it out for you.

I am much happier having the extra space under the seat now that I took that monstrosity of a CD changer out.

Last edited by Rover Chris; 05-29-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what my deck looks like. I ran new wires to all new speakers and have an ipod interface through the glove box. The install was not bad. The only complaint I have on the new deck is the glare on the display during the day.

Attached Thumbnails Installing a new deck-alpine-ipod-001.jpg   Installing a new deck-alpine-ipod-002.jpg  
Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i think one day i am just gonna have to run new wires to my speakers too... the whole common ground thing makes the quality of the sound horrible and it fried my 1600 watt amp...

Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are just worried about integrating an Ipod or such you can get interfaces that have rca, headphone jack, or the Ipod player/ Charger that you can replace the cd changer with without changing the head unit. Just another idea, I did it and love how it works now.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:46 PM
5th Gear

AHH! haha. Ok it's a bit overwhelming. So a dash kit is just to make sure that the deck fits into the hole right (make it DIN)?

then what's a wiring harness?
I also don't understand what the deal is with the amplifier. I don't want to be taking out/replacing wires.

Sorry I'm new to this..

Quick Reply: Installing a new deck