Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a new deck

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sircedric88
AHH! haha. Ok it's a bit overwhelming. So a dash kit is just to make sure that the deck fits into the hole right (make it DIN)?

then what's a wiring harness?
I also don't understand what the deal is with the amplifier. I don't want to be taking out/replacing wires.

Sorry I'm new to this..

The standard radio IS DIN size, its just the "faceplate" that isn't, once its out you will see, how ever wiring up to the factory system is a pain and imo not worth the hassle for what you will gain (if anything).

There is not really anyway to intergrate an aftermarket unit "properly" with teh factory "High line" system, I have seen several "attempts" and they all failed to impress over the factory setup.

If you just want a bigger / better choice of music, then install an IPOD adapter as stated, that will FULLY intergrate with you exisiting system (including steering wheel controls).

On the down side you loose the CD changer as the Factory unit only has 1 AUX input, but you will have way more than 6 CD's worth on an IPOD anyway and you can throw that stupid tape thing out the dam window!!!!

Just my opinion, but food for thought.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the wiring harness is a direct fit plug in connection that will connect to the plugs going into the back of your factory radio, that way you don't have to mess with the trucks wiring at all. you will need to wire this harness to the harness that came with your aftermarket radio however it is literally color to color connections so it is pretty easy (just need some wire strippers and some electrical tape). I must warn you that some of these amplifier integration harness's utilize the aftermarket radios RCA connections(front and rear low level outputs) instead of the speaker wires outputs so your new radio will need 4 RCA outputs to work with this harness.

you don't really need a dash kit as it is single din, but they do sell a dash kit (actually just a trim plate) to make it look a bit cleaner, I don't use one in my 97 and it looks ok.

European vehicles use a different type of antenna connector than the standard aftermarket radios do so you will need an adapter for that as well but it just plugs in inline, you can get this from anywhere you get the other items.

as for the amplifier don't worry about that if you get the right harness and wire it correctly everything will be fine.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

And on a side note I do agree with Urban Panzer completely in the fact that when you integrate with the factory amp all you are really doing is changing the audio system controller and will not have too much of a better sound. I replaced my stock tape deck with my Alpine cd player and bypassed the amp and my truck sounds 100X better now.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
the wiring harness is a direct fit plug in connection that will connect to the plugs going into the back of your factory radio, that way you don't have to mess with the trucks wiring at all. you will need to wire this harness to the harness that came with your aftermarket radio however it is literally color to color connections so it is pretty easy (just need some wire strippers and some electrical tape). I must warn you that some of these amplifier integration harness's utilize the aftermarket radios RCA connections(front and rear low level outputs) instead of the speaker wires outputs so your new radio will need 4 RCA outputs to work with this harness.

you don't really need a dash kit as it is single din, but they do sell a dash kit (actually just a trim plate) to make it look a bit cleaner, I don't use one in my 97 and it looks ok.

European vehicles use a different type of antenna connector than the standard aftermarket radios do so you will need an adapter for that as well but it just plugs in inline, you can get this from anywhere you get the other items.

as for the amplifier don't worry about that if you get the right harness and wire it correctly everything will be fine.
Chris, you are talking ref your Disco 1, which is easy to add an "after market" unit to, theres a BIG difference in the D2 setup tho as it has more speakers for example which are controlled by the crossovers in the factory amp, also if its a 7 seater, the rear audio is also part of the D2 setup that you will most likely also loose with an after market unit.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

i-pods suck.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
i-pods suck.
You just dont like technology m8 thats why you aint bought a D2 yet

I personally have not got one, I chose to install the SAT NAV unit instead, and I dont really need 4 gigs of music as you will just "flick" more like you do with 100+ TV channels, but its by far the best option to "upgrade" and keep intergration with a factory D2 setup.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have worked on the disco 2 systems and they are exactly the same setup as the disco 1 in the sense that it is an externally amplified system. Now as far as the number of channels on the amp and the fact that it has a built in sub channel (unlike the D1 that has its own sub amp),yes you are correct they are different, by swapping to a new head unit all you are doing is replacing the source of the sound, you may get a little bit more equalization control then you will with stock but the end result will be from the stock amp, which will ultimately create the same volume and the same sound as before. If I remember correctly the last D2 that I worked on was an Alpine system and the amp was under the drivers seat. I used the amp integration harness Metra 70-1786 (I just looked it up to be sure it was the right one) and I think the sub still worked, the audio sounded great, considering most of it was still stock. The owner just wanted the CD player he was used to in his old car installed.

I have not worked on a rover with the Harmon Kardon systems yet but I know they were offered in some vehicles (I am not sure which ones but I think its only Range Rovers) so I can't say for sure about those systems but I am almost positive that most people on these forums have either the Pioneer factory system or the Alpine factory systems

Old 05-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put the ipod adapter on my factory radio. I think I paid $79.00 for it. I like the stock setup on the inside with everything matching. Ipod just sits on the console with a cable running down between the passenger seat and the console to the CD-Changer connection under the seat. If I turn up the radio loud enough to overcome the wind and tire noise my ears start bleeding.... Is there a radio blanking kit out there?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:16 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a lot of info for a noob like me! lol

So I think my best bet would be the iPod adapter through the CD changer.
Where can I order this? (a specific link would be best)

If you guys know exactly how to install it, or if there is a guide, that would be great. I do not know where that would get plugged in. Again thank you, your help is greatly appreciated!

Also, are there any harnesses or any other parts needed besides the cable itself?

Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

satellite is the best

Attached Thumbnails Installing a new deck-roverstereo2a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Installing a new deck