Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SS Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:11 AM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Installing SS Brake Lines

This next week I have a long list of fixes for my '03. I need to do front rotors and pads, and new seals on the master cylinder. I am going to get the autocom so I can bleed the abs and the brakes. I need to put anti sieze on the front ABS Sensors.

My truck is not lifted, but I have stainless steel brake lines that I bought when it was lifted. I went back to stock as I live in the city, and having a tall vehicle is just impractical.

First question is, how difficult is changing the brake lines? The current are not leaking, so it is not a critical fix or anything. As long as I have the tires off I would not mind changing them though. If it is going to add 8-12 hours of struggling with them I think I will wait until it is warm. What has been everyone's experience with this job? is it manageable?

Also, the longer lines are for the front right?

Old 12-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Brake lines are generally easy.
key word there being generally, seeing your location and your mileage, I'm gonna recommend you use an disgusting amount of rust penetrant (PB, WD, whatever floats your boat). Read last line of signature.

Also, the correct wrench will go an extremely long way to getting them off no problem.

Last edited by dgi 07; 12-08-2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
This next week I have a long list of fixes for my '03. I need to do front rotors and pads, and new seals on the master cylinder. I am going to get the autocom so I can bleed the abs and the brakes. I need to put anti sieze on the front ABS Sensors.

My truck is not lifted, but I have stainless steel brake lines that I bought when it was lifted. I went back to stock as I live in the city, and having a tall vehicle is just impractical.

First question is, how difficult is changing the brake lines? The current are not leaking, so it is not a critical fix or anything. As long as I have the tires off I would not mind changing them though. If it is going to add 8-12 hours of struggling with them I think I will wait until it is warm. What has been everyone's experience with this job? is it manageable?

Also, the longer lines are for the front right?
Took me longer to bleed the lines then install them! Since you'll have to bleed them anyways because you are messing with the master, I would change them. Remember to soak the connections in pb blaster beforehand. Pretty easy job though. Maybe 20-30 mins per line.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i would have to agree as long as your their change them

Old 12-08-2015, 11:28 AM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Brake lines are generally easy.
key word there being generally, seeing your location and your mileage, I'm gonna recommend you use an disgusting amount of rust penetrant (PB, WD, whatever floats your boat). Read last line of signature.

Also, the correct wrench will go an extremely long way to getting them off no problem.
Thanks to everyone who responded. I will get the Deep Creep and see how that works.

What is the correct wrench? Flare wrench?

Old 12-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

good quaility flarenut wrench

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
good quaility flarenut wrench
Yea, what this guy said.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Can someone please point me in the direction of the correct brake bleed procedure? I am not messing with the master - simply changing pads, rotors and adding SS brake lines.

I thought the procedure was simply start at the RR wheel, have a helper pump the brake 3 times, hold, I open the screw, let it flow, repeat until steady flow and no bubbles.

Then I read somewhere about putting into 4 low, driving, parking, leaving ignition on, something to do something with the ABS to allow a bleed.

Thoroughly confused now. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I just replaced my master cylinder and ABS modulator. I started by bleeding just the master on the bench. Then I bled the lines between master and the modulator by just cracking the modulator size nut open and closing it. Then I bled the lines leading out of the master the same way. Then I did it the old fashioned way, starting with the brake closest to the master and working my way to the farthest. Brakes are a touch soft, but I can get that out with more bleeding I think. It stops fine as is. Doing it the old fashioned way works fine. An ABS scanner helps, but its not necessary.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

So, if all I do is have someone pump and hold the pedal while I am working the bleed screw at each wheel, can I get a good pedal?

Or, is there something people do to jumper or bypass or in some way shape or form, modify the ABS unit to get a better bleed?

I am not messing with the master - only working at the wheels, so no air should enter near the master or ABS unit.

Quick Reply: Installing SS Brake Lines