Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing stereo in 96 D1 - a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, got it all wired up correctly, and it sounds good. Wiring the factory subs sounds ok. I'm leaving them off for now.

So, putting things back together now. I ran into one problem. After plugging things back in as I put the dash back in, my 2 side brake lights no longer work. The third brake light on the window works...just not the sides. Of course, none of the brake lights worked before I replugged the hazard switch in.

The backup lights and the turn signal lights are functional as well..just those darn red brake lights. I looked in the manual for any fuse issues. It looks like those lights are not on their own fuse. So that couldn't be it, could it?

Any other ideas?

Just need to put on some trim peices and stuff now...hide all the cables. And figure out where to mount the gain control that comes back up from the amp. I ran the decks aux in up through the middle console box.

When it's all back together I'll take some photos and post them up.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

brake lights or tail lights? the brake light circuit shouldn't be affected by the radio wiring, there may be a wire running behind there for the tranny but I think it is a separate circuit than the brake lights.

now there is an illumination wire behind the radio that can affect the tail lights.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Three Wheeling

Hmm...I'll go check. I know the brake lights are definitely out...as in they don't illuminate when I hit the brakes. However, now that you mention it, I don't think the running lights are working either. I'll look at the fuse.

There were several wires I didn't connect from the stereo wiring harness. Mainly the dash remote and stock speakers. I wondered if there was one having to do with the interior illumination. Some sort of dimmer or something. Maybe I left something important disconnected.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Three Wheeling

Had a look on the way out this morning. Surveyed all the lights.

Interior lights (overhead + dash) all working ok. Rear red running lights working fine when headlights turned on. Top (window) brake light still working when brakes applied.

Still no side brake lights. I'll check through all of the fuses tonight in both fuse boxes. The bulbs look ok too, but I'll replace them just in case. I'll look in the rave for the readout on that plug that powers the rear light assembly. Maybe I can check for current with the multimeter.

Ugh.

Last edited by themdg; 10-19-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

the third brake light and the 2 lower ones separate in the back (I think on the D1's it is at the back top under the panel right below the alpine window on passengers side) best to meter the wires and trace back to where the power is gone. If you pull the brake switch off of its mount that will keep the lights on while you test.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Three Wheeling

I'll trace it tonight and see. Thanks for the tip on the brake switch. I'll try that tonight. Jamming a stick in there to hold the brake was getting old.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Three Wheeling

I haven't traced it, hoping to get to it tonight.

I had a closer look at the manual for the radio wiring. (Section E7.) I see the RN (Red/Brown) wire is for Illumination or Interior Lamps. Currently, my RN is not connected.

Should the RN wire be attached to something on my pioneer harness? Maybe I broke a circuit there...

I looked at section E5 (Rave Electrical Troubleshooting, Stop Lamsp) to see if RN comes in anywhere and didn't see it.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

that wire does not "need" to be connected, in fact I would probably be willing to bet that more than 50% of professional install shops would not hook it up unless asked. All that wire will do when connected is dim or brighten the display on your aftermarket radio when the lights are on or off (usually connected to the dimmer switch) but it should have absolutely no affect on your brakes. I would be more concerned about a plug that came loose in the back when you were working on the subs.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling

Eureka!

It was the bulbs after all. Geeze louise. I poked around the harness that goes into the rear light units with the multimeter and the power was there. I removed the unit and poked around on the metal leads that disperse the power. It all looked good. Had another good look at the bulbs, and they looked good. But with the power there, what else could it be!?

So at 1:30am, I drove to Wal Mart and bought some replacements. Whammy. All lights are blazin' now. On a roll, I started putting things back together. Hiding my wires, and putting on trim. Using some leather pieces and gorilla glue, I had repaired some broken trim pieces too. Worked really well, actually.

The truck is looking great, and everything is working. Just have to secure the amp and sub and mount the gain control.

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement. I let out a barbaric yop early this morning when things were bolted back on, working, and looking good.

I'll post some pics tonight.