Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument cluster fastening?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Instrument cluster fastening?

My main instrument cluster shroud, or whatever you call it, that sits on top of dash in front of driver, is a bit loose, on the right side, so that when the heater fan is on full blast, the cluster shroud makes noises as it pop up and down about 1/8" or something like that. There are no visible holes in the shroud, where screws would be found, etc., so does anyone know what holds this shroud down on to the dash itself? How do I tighten this sucker up?

Old 12-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

There are 2 screws at the bottom of the shroud (it's called the nacelle in RAVE) behind the top cover on the steering column and then 2 clips in the back that slide into the dash. RAVE has a nice image of it under the Instrument section.

On mine, the screw holes had been snapped off the back of the shroud so I rebuilt them with a j-b weld type epoxy and then drilled new holes. Made it nice and quiet so now I can hear all of the other noises it makes.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine kind of just flops about where it wants to go. It's a free country.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (09-14-2022)
Old 12-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Mine kind of just flops about where it wants to go. It's a free country.
Haha

Mine had the same issue. I super glued a couple metal washers behind the holes for the screws just to reinforce it. (That's where it was cracking on mine). Has been nice and snug for 1+ year now.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick fix so its not annoying. Put the joke that they call tilt/steering down, take about 4 napkins in half and put them under the shroud and put tilt back up... done till you find some screws.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The screw holes and the plastic tabs on the back of my shroud are all broken.

I use 2 1/4inch sheet rock screw in each hole. The screw heads are big enough that they hold perfect, you wouldn't know the tabs on the back are broke! Plus the steering wheel covers them up so you'd never know.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks so much, guys. I should have known it would be the plastic that was the guilty party! Had a Classic 91 Range Rover with middle of plastic dash warped upward; my latest 2004 Discovery with almost the same ailment, so I glued it down with firearms specification epoxy, the best epoxy in the world, so looks like I now have to reinforce holes; maybe cracking of plastic, to also get instrument cluster to stay down and be quite about it! Someone should have sold a lot of quality epoxy to Rover when they were manufacturing these Discoveries. When, in auto. manufacturing, will the extensive use of plastics cease, or at least slow down? I fear, that if you have an auto fire, the black smoke from the burning plastic will kill you before you can get the seat belt off and door open!

Old 09-13-2022, 08:29 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
There are 2 screws at the bottom of the shroud (it's called the nacelle in RAVE) behind the top cover on the steering column and then 2 clips in the back that slide into the dash. RAVE has a nice image of it under the Instrument section.

On mine, the screw holes had been snapped off the back of the shroud so I rebuilt them with a j-b weld type epoxy and then drilled new holes. Made it nice and quiet so now I can hear all of the other noises it makes.
Hey mate I have the exact same issue. How did you shape the epoxy to fit nicely between the shroud and the instrument cluster? Or does it not matter if its the same shape as the original screw mounts?

Hopefully you see this as I just noticed how old this thread is😂

Cheers

Old 09-13-2022, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Madlands
The screw holes and the plastic tabs on the back of my shroud are all broken.

I use 2 1/4inch sheet rock screw in each hole. The screw heads are big enough that they hold perfect, you wouldn't know the tabs on the back are broke! Plus the steering wheel covers them up so you'd never know.
Yes I used sheet rock screws as well. Work perfectly and are black so looks like it came that way.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

there are also two plastic locking tabs on the inside of shroud, mating to dash top. these are usually broken too. Easy to 3D print up a new set and using Devcon platic welder, repair the shroud....

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3436728