Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold bolts that work loose - quick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intake Manifold bolts that work loose - quick question

A general consensus seems to be the intake manifold bolts can work loose and cause a coolant leak. Which bolts tend to work loose - are they the bolts visible on top of the manifold closest to the firewall after you open the hood or are they not readily visible and closest to the firewall somewhere around the SAI tube clamp. Thanks in advance obviously never been there never done that - closest I've been is replacing wires without removing IM.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

This is really a great question because I think my slight coolant leak is coming from the intake bolts working loose. I was able to get a wrench on the left front bolt and it was loose. Unfortunately, I think you have to take off the upper intake to tighten the rest of the bolts. If I end up doing that, I'll probably do the head gaskets at the same time.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Use red locktite and torque to spec. Bolts will never work loose by themselves again.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms
Use red locktite and torque to spec. Bolts will never work loose by themselves again.
x1 only I use Loctite 242

Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives

Old 05-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My question wasn't clear so let me try again (I totally agree with the Locktite suggestion btw but I need to know where the loose ones tend to be located first). So here's my re-worded question:
Where are the intake manifold bolts located that people say tend to work loose and cause coolant leaks? Upper manifold, lower manifold, location, etc. Yes I am being lazy but looking for advice in case I need to plan to order new gaskets before tearing things down to see if a bolt or two is loose. Naturally what I'm hoping for is something like "take a 10mm swivel socket and an inspection mirror and find those 2 bolts on the upper intake manifold at the rear and check for tightness" (I don't even know how many bolts are at the rear against the firewall) :-)
Thanks in advance for your responses that make this a great forum.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:39 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Lower manifold, front of engine and back of engine. This is where the coolant passages are.

I can't remember if the coolant only flows through the manifold at the front, someone who is not having a brain fart can clarify...

Old 05-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Do not use RED loctite, possible blue or green.Red pretty much for something to do not plan on ever take it apart