Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Air Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior Air Temp Sensor

One of the things I was noticing was that I had to set the auto climate control to 66F before it would stop throwing out heat, I know these systems aren't accurate but this was a little extreme IMO. So I took out the interior air temp sensor and found the sensor bulb completely covered with "fuzz" (best description I can think of) I cleaned it off with MAF sensor cleaner and put it back in, now it seems more normal, I have the temp set at 70 and it feels like it's around that temp (I haven't dug around and found my outlet thermometer to check it, but I think it's close enough for me). I'm going to try to attach a couple of pictures, but if it doesn't work I'll have to wait until my son shows me how. Hmm, I'm doing something wrong, I'll call him to find out my path to my album (can't remember it, getting old is a b......) Edit, OK, 3 phone calls later I (he) figured it out)

Last edited by Bkreutz; 06-19-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't pulled mine out to check, but I'm sure it looks the same. Mine makes a horribly annoying ticking sound as well. Its on my to-do list.

BTW, how much of a pain was it to get it out? Looks like a process from the 15 second glance I took at it.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by primussucks
I haven't pulled mine out to check, but I'm sure it looks the same. Mine makes a horribly annoying ticking sound as well. Its on my to-do list.

BTW, how much of a pain was it to get it out? Looks like a process from the 15 second glance I took at it.
Pretty easy, just open the underdash panel (like you're accessing the fuse panel, there may or may not be a styrofoam pad surrounding the column (it's part of the restraint system) if it's there just push it up until the bottom clears the opening you just made then pull the bottom of the styrofoam out and down. The temp sensor is just behind the little grille to the left of the steering column, unplug the electrical connector, remove the 2 screws, you need a real short #2 phillips screwdriver to get them out. Hope this helps, it sounds complicated, but it's really not.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The ticking, if speed related to the HVAC fan, could be leaves and trash in the fan, the fresh air intake allows these to get sucked in sometimes. One guy had a rodent nest in there, made from fibers of the hood insulation. And don't let the class clown at a Rover club meet sneak a few marbles in there when you aren't looking....

Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm confident it is the air temp sensor, as I was able to shove my finger in the spinning fan , and it quit.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Winching

I went and read the RAVE section that deals with this sensor and realized it's kinda short on the instructions ("unplug the multi pin connector, remove 2 screws and remove unit") along with the typical LHD/RHD confusion (the drawings show the location to the right of the console). If anyone thinks that me posting the whole procedure with pictures would be helpful let me know and I can do that.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, I managed to get mine off using one of those sideways philips screw drivers for the lower screw.. The upper one was a little bit of a pain, i used a combination of stubby screwdriver and fingers. I got the whole thing out, tore it apart, sprayed with MAF cleaner, wiped it all around with q-tips, put it all back together, re-installed. I either fixed the ticking noise, or broke the motor, either way, it is quite now. I suppose I could go put the key in and see if the fan is turning.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Using this can of CRC Electronics Cleaner (Similar to MAF's Cleaner I'm sure) I was able to just use the red tube attachment and spray into the grill without removing the sensor unit. If you use a flashlight, you can see the temp sensor behind the grill, and filthy as mentioned. I opened the access panel below, and placed a towel to catch runoff. It sprayed right off and ran down onto the towel below. Worked a treat. I let it dry off before applying power.

Attached Thumbnails Interior Air Temp Sensor-wp_20121230_002.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI - I just did this to mine, but I did it the lazy way. similar to the post about of using the supplied nozzle and shooting it through the grill.

However, I just took the grill off. Lift up the dashp pod housing the gauges, then remove the little grille to the left of the steering column and trim peice that holds the mirror **** It just pops out. Sensor is then in plain sight and easy to hose down with electrical cleaner.

Just a little shortcut. I had to knock my temp down to about 64 to quit throwing heat. Seems to work pretty accurate now.

Thanks to the OP!