Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default interior temp sensor

Where is the internal temperature sensor for the climate control? Mine will only push out ice cold air, and I hear a buzzing noise from the dash. Any thoughts?

Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a little fan next to the steering wheel on the left side of the dash. You wills see the little 1" square vent. Get a can of the keyboard cleaner and blow it out. My was filled with dust big time. Are you sure it is that though and not a bigger issue? You have enough coolant? You hear any waterfall type noise behind the dash?

Old 11-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Three Wheeling

no waterfall type noise. I did not check the coolant, although after a search I should probably do that and make sure that it's full. I have switched from OAT to regular coolant, but I don't think that would cause any issues.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here it is, and there is also an ambient air temp sensor and a sun light sensor that are part of the AC controls. Read all about in the RAVE, color pictures, color diagrams, revoltingly clean Rovers....

connector 794 plugs into that sensor

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
D2 794.PDF (341.0 KB, 1202 views)
Old 11-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Three Wheeling

I looked through the RAVE, but I could not find anything showing me where the sensor was....and my RAVE doesn't have any color pictures in it?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by 01d2Jeff
no waterfall type noise. I did not check the coolant, although after a search I should probably do that and make sure that it's full. I have switched from OAT to regular coolant, but I don't think that would cause any issues.
Yes, for sure the 1st step. If you need me to take a picture of the fan area let me know. You should see it though, down by your left knee.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Before you get too carried away, do you have the econ on, what temp setting are you setting both heaters at? Go out when the engine is running and grab hold of both of the heater hoses, are they both equally hot?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Econ is not on. I've tried the entire range of temperatures. I'm almost led to believe that it's the interior temp sensor for the simple fact that even when the engine is warmed up and I leave everything on auto, turn the temp all the way up (just before Hi), the fan speed doesn't increase, nor does the temp. but, if I turn the fan up manually and leave the temperature at, say, 80, it kicks out ice cold air still.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So you decided not to go check the temp on your 2 hoses, how do you expect to find and repair this issue if you can't follow simple suggestions?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by 01d2Jeff
Econ is not on. I've tried the entire range of temperatures. I'm almost led to believe that it's the interior temp sensor for the simple fact that even when the engine is warmed up and I leave everything on auto, turn the temp all the way up (just before Hi), the fan speed doesn't increase, nor does the temp. but, if I turn the fan up manually and leave the temperature at, say, 80, it kicks out ice cold air still.
Automatic means it will keep the temp you want. If you don't have coolant getting to the heater core (because it is clogged or you are super low on coolant) it will not kick on. If you notice during regular driving if you have it on auto (with or without econ pressed) it will not start blowing air until it reaches the temp you desire. So yes, it could be the sensor but check the hoses like Mike said, and check the coolant level. See if the coolant flowing in is hot and out hot.

Quick Reply: interior temp sensor